Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UK Medical School Tuition - HELP

kalaylaykalaylay Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited January 2014 in Foreign Medical Education
I'm an American student looking to apply to medical schools in the UK because I have dual citizenship. What tuition would I pay? UK tuition is £9,000. HOWEVER international tuition is generally around £45,000 - a HUGE price tag. I simply couldn't afford to pay the latter, do you know if I would get the UK tuition because I'm a citizen? I don't know their policies, nor can I find an answer online or on the schools' websites. Thanks!
Post edited by kalaylay on

Replies to: UK Medical School Tuition - HELP

  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,234 Senior Member
    You need to contact each of those institutions and ask them. An email to the admissions office should do it. Let them know that you are a UK citizen, and tell them where you have been educated. Ask what the admissions requirements are for a student like you, and what the costs would be.

    The Education Officer at the closest UK Consulate ought to be able to help you with this too.

    Good luck!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,515 Senior Member
    It doesn't matter if you're ALSO an American citizen. If you're a British citizen, you're a British citizen and you pay the British fees; however, some universities require you to prove you've lived in the UK or the EU for the past couple years, especially if you apply for the loan and the maintenance grant. Some bursaries are also reserved to British students who have lived in the UK/the EU.
    HOWEVER have you done what UK universities require and will you have completed your AP's this May (you'd need 5's in Calculus - preferably BC, Physics, Biology, and Chemistry, plus English with a 3 minimum, 4 recommended)? Have you scheduled your internship/shadowing experience already?
  • boomtingboomting Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    Unfortunately the information provided by MYOS1634 is wrong.

    They base student finance status on residency, not nationality. To qualify for home fees (and by extension tuition fee loan and living cost support) you need to have been living in the UK for at least 3 years prior to the start of your degree for reasons other than education (so boarding school wouldn't count).

    If you just wanted to be eligible for the home fees + tuition fee loan (but not living cost support) then living anywhere in the EU for three years would suffice.

    There's no option to just be eligible for home fees but no tuition fee loan based on citizenship or anything like that.

    The only exceptions to this is if you can prove that your family's absence was temporary. The criteria for this are a bit fuzzy, but it usually seems to be decided based on things like whether you've been seconded abroad by a UK company, whether your parents maintained a home in the UK, and whether you returned to the UK for holidays.

    You should be aware that because you are classed as an international student, your chances of getting an offer for medicine are far lower because of the funding-related restrictions that the government / NHS places on the number of places there are for international students. 60% of UK students don't get an offer for medicine on their first application (NB this is already a very self-selecting cohort) and the figures are far worse for international students. If you were to study a subject that wasn't medicine / dentistry / NHS funded then your chances would be better than a UK student, so this really is a problem that's peculiar to healthcare courses.

    There's some information about home / EU vs international status here Home/EU or international status | The University of Manchester

    Don't forget that the application deadline for medicine, dentistry, vet med and Oxbridge is 15th October, so the earliest that you could apply for now is 2015 entry.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,515 Senior Member
    I admit I assumed Op's parents were sent abroad for the parents' jobs and that they maintained a house and tax status in the UK too, returning "home" once a year or so, ie., as so many expats do. (There's also the case of British students in the EU, they have a particular status too even if their parents have sold their house.)
    If you and your parents haven't maintained any ties with the UK and you haven't been living in the EU, then I defer to what happymomof1 said (email each university) and what Boomting said.
This discussion has been closed.