Leaving the U.S. for foreign medical school
I am a freshman in college (Top 30) with intentions to become a doctor. I am not doing academically well at the university I currently attend (3.60 GPA and mediocre science grades - B's, so like a 3.00 science GPA). I realize my GPA will probably prevent me from applying/getting into a U.S. medical school.
My options are to drop pre-med/science entirely or to attend an international medical school (ex. one in China/Europe). One of my relatives graduated from an international medical school, took the 3-step to get licensed in the US, and is now a practicing physician. He says it will be easier. I disagree with this because science material presented at different universities, domestic or foreign, should be pretty much the same. I can't see how you can make organic chemistry "easier." And besides, it would make the 3-Step a lot harder and probably impossible to pass if a student didn't get a good medical education.
(Pro's of foreign universities: WAY cheaper than U.S. higher ed (even cheaper than my current undergrad school!), no MCAT.)
As for trying other subjects, I've narrowed down my interests to science and music. I tried Economics, International Relations, Sociology, and Psychology, all of which I didn't really like. Science for me is harder but a lot more engaging and interesting. Music is more of an interest - I decided not to pursue it because of my strong dislike for music theory. So for me to drop pre-med/science...I am not really sure what to do. I visited my university's medical school during my freshman year and the critical thinking (kind of like solving a puzzle) + helping patients get better appealed to me greatly. It also helps that healthcare/health is very important to me. However, worth noting that my critical thinking and logic need some work.
My parents are pressuring me to make a decision ASAP as they do not want to spend another chunk of money on my sophomore year in the US. I've had a rough freshman year, am planning to enter therapy/medication for my anxiety disorder, and I really didn't think I gave it my all because I was distracted so many times when studying. I proposed to them that they give me another year in the U.S. (or semester) to figure things out, but I don't think they're buying it.