right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Finding Gap Year Opportunities on Short Notice

CfckohCfckoh 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
Hi all! So I graduated this June 2019 and was planning to start at the University of California Davis next month. Unfortunately, due to unexpected changes in my father's employment I will now be taking a gap year and reapplying to colleges this year. Deferment was not an option because my father's job came with the benefit of in-state tuition at UC schools. Additionally my current summer internship at a national laboratory is coming to a close and due to the policies I cannot continue to work unless I am enrolled full time (12 cred hours) at a university. So currently I am scrambling to find opportunities to continue my academic exposure and explore career opportunities. I have no qualms traveling or living in another country or state for a semester or a year if a beneficial opportunity arises there and I have saved enough money to support myself for a short term duration (semester to year maybe) in most places. I have been emailing professors from various universities across the nation to see if they would have positions as a lab technician or to do any basic computational work. Not unexpectedly, I have gotten no replies in the 20 + individuals I have contacted. Anybody have any good suggestions for what my next move should be? I'd also greatly appreciate it if anybody has a contact that might be able to offer me such an experience. However I understand not wanting to share contact info on a public forum. Thank you for your time!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Finding Gap Year Opportunities on Short Notice

• HippobirdyHippobirdy 358 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited August 31
    Where do you have instate tuition?
    Ask your colleagues at the national lab about contractor partners. Private industry may be able to hire you whereas universities prefer or have funding opportunities limited to their own students.
    Also check out start up companies. UC Davis has a Start Up Center and Innovation Technology Commercialization Division and lists of companies. See Sierra Biopharma as an example. Check out their websites and Linked In and maybe you'll also find someone familiar with the national lab where you are now.
    edited August 31
    · Reply · Share
  • HippobirdyHippobirdy 358 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    Another example, look for Sage Therapeutics. They had a product approved and may be able to create a position for someone with your experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • eb23282eb23282 553 replies16 threadsRegistered User Member
    Why not go to community college? You can continue your "academic exposure" and if you're taking 12 credits you can also keep your internship.
    · Reply · Share