right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do I need to withdraw from my current University in order to re-apply to other colleges?

NOTanonymousNOTanonymous 10 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
For some background: I was accepted to a backup school during my senior year of high school. I was planning on taking a gap year anyway and so I deferred enrollment.

I am currently a gap year student and I intend on reapplying to UPenn ED in about a month. Do I have to withdraw from my backup in order to apply? If I am admitted, I intend on forfeiting the spot at the backup. But, I would still consider going to the backup in the likely scenario that I am not admitted so I would rather wait to withdraw until I absolutely have to.

Thank you advance for your help
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do I need to withdraw from my current University in order to re-apply to other colleges?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 6703 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
  • GumbymomGumbymom 27825 replies155 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    I would check with your current University since some schools if you are defer will not allow you to apply to another school unless officially withdraw.
    · Reply · Share
  • NOTanonymousNOTanonymous 10 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Gumbymom thank you for the reply. My guidance counselor says that NACAC rules require I withdraw my application. I don’t think she’s right about this, though. I will keep doing research. If it helps you give a more specific answer, the school I’m currently enrolled in is BU.

Thank you again for your help
    · Reply · Share
  • sensation723sensation723 559 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    ED only requires you withdraw your application if you are accepted.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8926 replies333 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You should contact BU directly and ask if students who were approved for deferral can hold their spot if they're applying to other schools. Their rules are the ones that matter.
    · Reply · Share
  • NOTanonymousNOTanonymous 10 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @austinmshauri I’m worried that they’ll get the wrong impression and I would really rather BU not know unless I get accepted
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74776 replies3277 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You know...you don’t have to give your name when you call with this question. Get on the phone and call BU admissions...and ask.
    · Reply · Share
  • sgopal2sgopal2 3483 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There is a clearinghouse where colleges store this type of information. But I think its limited to students who matriculate. I'm not sure if admissions decisions (or deferred acceptances) are also stored in the clearinghouse.

In either case, read carefully your acceptance letter from BU. It should specifically state what the stipulations are. You can obviously disregard their requirements, since its not an official contract. But you might face some consequences.
    · Reply · Share
  • tgl2023tgl2023 97 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We cannot give you a definitive answer; PLEASE ask at BU, U Penn and other schools to which you are applying.
    · Reply · Share