right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Is this idea possible: taking a semester off only after 1 semester of college and working to transfe

phiooxeophiooxeo 3 replies5 threads New Member
Hi! I am currently at Bucknell uni - although I really have found amazing aspects of this school as I have made friends, participates in clubs, and have been doing very good in all my classes, I am still not quite happy with the school. Just in the sense, I can't imagine being here for four years and I don't want to be here for studies. I would recommend this school to the right person, sadly the right person just isn't me. Therefore, I really want to transfer to another school. But- I really don't want to be working on my application while working on my second semester of college. I just don't know what I want right now and i want to be able to figure it out. If I take a gap semester just after my first semester ever of college, will no schools want me? Will this idea ruin my future? Please let me know if you have experience on this or just, I am just !!! Thank you!
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is this idea possible: taking a semester off only after 1 semester of college and working to transfe

• PublisherPublisher 11088 replies145 threads Senior Member
    Need more information as to why not Bucknell University & what you are seeking in any target school.

After one semester, it is unlikely that you will have enough credits to be considered as a "transfer" applicant.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9782 replies110 threads Senior Member
    It could potentially leave you off sequence for courses, depending on your major.

I would recommend sticking it out for the full year.

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82670 replies737 threads Senior Member
    Publisher wrote: »
    After one semester, it is unlikely that you will have enough credits to be considered as a "transfer" applicant.

Or, at some colleges, you may be considered ineligible to apply as a frosh (due to college enrollment after high school graduation), but not have enough college work to be eligible to apply as a transfer.

Some students unhappy with their four year colleges as frosh transfer to community colleges and then take transfer preparation courses there before transferring to another four year college.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10269 replies70 threads Senior Member
    Are you on a scholarship there?
    If so, you will lose your funding.
    Transfers get minimal funding, if any, at the future uni.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24512 replies19 threads Senior Member
    If I take a gap semester just after my first semester ever of college, will no schools want me?

Not only will some schools still want you, some will still consider you a freshman and not a transfer. You have to check each school and what the requirements, the limit on credits taken after a hs diploma, the scholarships available.

If you know for sure you don't want to stay (it is only October), then make arrangements to leave and take the gap semester.
    · Reply · Share
  • CJ2929CJ2929 1 replies1 threads New Member
    You are considered a tranfer applicant at almost every university after 1 semester at a different school. You will just need to submit a bit more information from your high school. But you're definetly not stuck at a school you don't want to be at.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4togo44togo4 136 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Was wondering what you decided to do--we have a similar situation...
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2525 replies21 threads Senior Member
    I'm also wondering. Have a very close friend whose D did gap after 1st semester freshmen yr and transferred to another school. She's finishing her second semester at the second school now it all seems to have worked pretty well. I don't know all the credit circumstances, but people do this so you're not alone.
    · Reply · Share
  • phiooxeophiooxeo 3 replies5 threads New Member
    Guy I ended up sticking it out! Thank you all for the advice!
    · Reply · Share