right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Feel Guilty for taking 5 years

jand17jand17 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited January 22 in Gap Year
I took this semester off due to burnout and high stress, now im working full time. How do I deal with the feelings of guilty for graduating later than planned. Its only a semester extra, but I feel terrible about it. The good news is I got to try out a career I enjoy.
edited January 22
8 replies
Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Feel Guilty for taking 5 years

• doschicosdoschicos 22838 replies240 threads Senior Member
    Sounds like you are using the semester off productively. Many people take more than 4 years to complete a degree. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1481 replies27 threads Senior Member
    edited January 22
    Are you earning a basic living wage? Learning useful new skills and maturing? Getting your optimism and health back? Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel?

As long as the answer is "yes" to any of these and no one is getting hurt, then you made the right choice. Life is not a race! But if it were, you might actually be further ahead than if you had stayed and deteriorated in grades, health or happiness. You may graduate so much more resume-ready and interiew-ready than had you finished school straight through in a stew of burnout. My advice would be to make the most of this time in the healthiest and most responsible way you can, and go back next year refreshed and ready to complete your degree. It's OK....it's more than OK :)
    edited January 22
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12994 replies169 threads Senior Member
    edited January 22
    Many, many, many students take longer than 4 years -- a semester one way or another will not make any difference to an employer. What will make a difference to you is the professional insight and experience you gained during your semester off. Chin up! That puts you AHEAD of the game.
    edited January 22
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 80199 replies720 threads Senior Member
    It looks like you will take 8 semesters but with a gap semester in the middle.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23342 replies2310 threads Senior Member
    Guilty is the last word I'd use to describe your situation. IMO you should feel very proud of yourself.

Proud that you figured out that you were burnt-out and took action -- you didn't wait for your academics to come crashing down.
    Proud that you found a productive use for your semester off.
    Proud that you have found a career you enjoy before graduating college.
    Proud that you will soon be a college graduate.
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 10165 replies9 threads Senior Member
    At some point you will turn 35 (I certainly hope so!)

You can either be a 35 year old without a college degree, or one with a degree. You could have made the choice to struggle and swim against the tide, or the choice to get your life together and get back in the game!

When you are 35 you will not remember how long it took, what struggles you had, the feelings of failure. You will just be living your life with a sense that when life hands you a lemon you know how to make tasty lemonade.

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2640 replies6 threads Senior Member
    If you're in a job/career you enjoy, then GREAT! You can go to school part-time and work full-time. The reason we go to college is because a lot of us aren't lucky enough to get those kinds of opportunities.
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 1046 replies98 threads Senior Member
    edited February 13
    jand17 wrote: »
    I took this semester off due to burnout and high stress, now im working full time. How do I deal with the feelings of guilty for graduating later than planned. Its only a semester extra, but I feel terrible about it. The good news is I got to try out a career I enjoy.

Well, guilt is normal but unproductive. It’s done so no point in wasting energy over it now. You need to think about what you need to do going forward to graduate as planned and with a better GPA. In bigger picture of life, it’s a tiny piece. If you think you made a mistake, learn from it and move on!
    edited February 13
    · Reply · Share