right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Verto Education gives first-year students the opportunity to travel, earn college credit, and graduate in four years. RSVP for their virtual fair on Sept. 29 and engage with them in an exclusive AMA session.
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

No language in High school

icydragon66icydragon66 1 replies1 threads New Member
So for varying reasons I never ended up taking a language class in High School, (Just graduated this year) and because of that I couldn't really apply to colleges this year. The only problem I'm having now is figuring out where to get that credit. I know I could take a few classes at a community college, but then I would have to apply to schools as a transfer student (Which I have no clue how that would work, as I'm wanting to apply to BFA programs that you have to be a first year student for.) Is there some other way to get credit? My high school counselor, though choosing the "No-Language" path for me, never talked with me about what to do when I was graduated, and I don't know who to ask now.
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: No language in High school

• boudersbouders 2769 replies193 threads Senior Member
    @icydragon66 Not all colleges require a foreign language.

What type of fine art are you planning to do a BFA in?
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 5117 replies61 threads Senior Member
    I really doubt your GC chose that for you. I think you would have had to go out of your way to do no language in high school. What state are you in?
    · Reply · Share
  • icydragon66icydragon66 1 replies1 threads New Member
    edited July 17
    @Sybylla
    They didn't choose that for me, but I ended up switching schools each year and didn't get to choose my classes and was never put in a language class. I was really surprised that I was even allowed to graduate, as I thought it was a graduation requirement. I am from Washington.

@bouders
    Musical Theatre.
    edited July 17
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 84597 replies752 threads Senior Member
    https://www.k12.wa.us/student-success/graduation/graduation-requirements/credit-requirements indicates that Washington high school graduation requirements for class of 2019 or later include 2 years of world language or personalized pathway, but previous years had no such requirement.

Page 6 of https://wsac.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020.Minimum.College.Admission.Standards.Policy.pdf indicates that Washington public universities require 2 years of the same world language for frosh admission.

Seems like your high school counselors were negligent in failing to tell you that lack of world language would limit your post-high-school-graduation options.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 5117 replies61 threads Senior Member
    How many HSs did you attend, and why did you move each year? Do you have parents? Who is paying for college, and what will you do with MT in the covid era?
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 10166 replies393 threads Senior Member
    What's your budget? Where you can go to college depends on how much your family can afford to pay.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30942 replies199 threads Senior Member
    Start with the BFA programs that interest you. Sometimes the audition matters much more than the high school record. Given your history of changing high schools each year, there could be some leeway on the language thing. For example, if you study independently and take a language placement exam or SAT subject or CLEP exam for that language can the admission requirement be waived?

What are your plans for this fall? Will you be working?

I know that there is a lot of interesting experimental stuff happening in theater in Zoom and dance in Zoom, but I don't know anything about MT in Zoom. Look around, and if you don't see anyone creating that yet, go out and make your own art so you can include it in your portfolio.
    · Reply · Share