right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Is a second gap year going to ruin my chances at admissions this year?

funplantfunplant 0 replies3 threads New Member
Hi everyone!

I can't help but feel discouraged or worried about my chances at getting admitted because of 2 gap years. I'm currently on my second gap year because of financial issues & COVID-19. My family decided that it was best if I were to stay in my country rather than leave to a different country because of the ongoing pandemic. I am a low-income U.S citizen living abroad. EFC is zero, and I JUST discovered of QuestBridge a few months ago and am applying through QB this year.

Yet, I feel like my second gap year will be taken as a negative to AO's. Is applying through QB going to help? I'm just really worried about that but I'm wondering if this is even a matter worth worrying about...

Are 2 gap years going to ruin my chances at admission, especially for QB? Any advice and input will be very much appreciated!! Thank you all!
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is a second gap year going to ruin my chances at admissions this year?

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6906 replies2 threads Senior Member
    What have you done during your gap years? Working is a very reasonable thing to do in a gap year, even at a low wage job.

I think that quite a few students have taken gap years this year because of the pandemic. The one student that I know well who is currently in university is getting bored with the on-line classes and particularly with the lack of labs (which we hope will open soon).

In my limited experience older students with work experience were more consistently solid students compared to ones who went straight from high school to university.

I would not worry about even two gap years.
    · Reply · Share