right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Gates Millennium - 2007-2008

ceecee003ceecee003 44 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited February 2013 in The Gates Scholarship
So who's applying for the Gates Millennium Scholarship this year? The deadline's not until Jan but it's never too early to start...

To winners from years past, any advice/pertinent information to share? Thanks!
edited February 2013
599 replies
Post edited by ceecee003 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Gates Millennium - 2007-2008

• confuciusconfucius 154 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    How many people actually win these scholarships? If its extremely hard to win, I dont think ill apply then.
    · Reply · Share
  • Jeopardy_FanJeopardy_Fan 115 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    1000 people won last year out of 11,000 applicants. 1/11 is tough odds, but people who want it get it.
    · Reply · Share
  • confuciusconfucius 154 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    o wow the application is soo lengthy tho >.<!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • chickenandstarschickenandstars 25 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    what are the average stats for those who received the scholarship?
    · Reply · Share
  • Jeopardy_FanJeopardy_Fan 115 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    It is lengthy but one application is better than filling out 10 scholarship apps every year!

GMS is worth it and I only spent the day before it was due to complete the app. (Don't wait like I did.)

I don't know the average stats but from meeting some of the scholars, there isn't an average. People are so different but all unique, with their own stories. Myself, I barely met the cutoff for GPA so the essays are very important apparently. My high school counselor wrote the recommendations for a few students (including me) and all of us ended up getting the scholarship. So, the recommendations are important.
    · Reply · Share
  • chickenandstarschickenandstars 25 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    how many awards are given? and how many people apply annually?
    · Reply · Share
  • RedduneReddune 1472 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    Jeopardy_Fan can you tell me where you got number of applicants from? I've been scouring the internet pages for years, but no such luck.
    · Reply · Share
    My mistake for not citing my sources. The statistics I mentioned came directly from GMS at the GMS Conference in LA. There was no official numbers, just the 1000 out of 11000.
    · Reply · Share
  • Ferny ReyesFerny Reyes 184 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    Be true to yourself and to what you believe in the essays. Don't try to give them what "they" want. - 2006 Gates Scholar/Yale University
    · Reply · Share
  • pimpin88pimpin88 68 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Everyone, fill out the application, don't be discouraged to apply because you don't think you have stellar SATs or GPA. I met many Scholars that won it because of what they wrote on their essays, not because of their stats.

My advice is to work hard on the essay questions. I think those are by FAR the most important aspect of the application (IMO)
    · Reply · Share
    I will go as far as to say that they are the most important thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • RedduneReddune 1472 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    I work as a GMS student rep, and I can't advocate more how important the essays are.
    Priority:
    1) Essays
    2) Recommendations
    3) Extracurricular
    4) GPA
    5) No SAT/ACT
    · Reply · Share
  • pimpin88pimpin88 68 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Hey Reddune, how did u become a GMS student rep? I'm interested in doing that, but iono how...
    · Reply · Share
    Your respective organization should send you email about it. There was sign-up during the conference (at least for my year anyway.)
    · Reply · Share
  • csleslie51csleslie51 1068 replies104 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    Can someone explain more precisely what they are looking for essay and community service wise? I ask this because in my state, 6 kids out of a graduating class of 90 won the scholarship while NO ONE in our school districts of over 2000 graduating seniors, 60% minority with about the same % with incomes below $35,000 won it. Hard to believe the 6 were that much more outstanding.
    · Reply · Share
  • DestinosDestinos 128 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    ok i don't understand how you guys get good recs from your counselors because i don't even talk to mine unless i want to change a class or something. Is it bad to ask him for a rec if he doesn't really know me or know about my accompishments? And, each year i have a different teacher so i don't really know any of my teachers that well. Would this affect my recs which seem pretty important for scholarships and applications in general. Plese help!!!!
    · Reply · Share
    They aren't looking for anything specifically, just be honest and speak your mind. They look for good people that deserve a full ride.

Destinos - I would make some kind of resume to give the counselor so that they have something to write about. Try to find a teacher that will write positively of you and not just BS the reccommendation. I actually asked a teacher that I was close to (2 days before the deadline) so it was easy. You can do the same but you might have to talk to the teacher before they write it.
    · Reply · Share
  • msmith392msmith392 16 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18 New Member
    what are the financial aid requirements for this scholarship?
    · Reply · Share
  • babuskagirlbabuskagirl 72 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    I'm white. Am I wasting my time with this scholarship? Directly from the website:

"The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS), funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, was established in 1999 to provide outstanding low income African American, American Indian/Alaska Natives, Asian Pacific Islander American*, and Hispanic American students with an opportunity to complete an undergraduate college education in any discipline area of interest. "
    · Reply · Share
  • bumblebee07bumblebee07 156 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    I'm wondering how much your family income has to be for this scholarship... I think mine might be too high.. does anyone know the income range for this?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity