right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

George Mason Study Abroad and AP Credits

PastelNPastelN 2 replies1 threads New Member
George Mason is currently at the top of my daughters list for affordability. Wondering if anybody can speak to their study abroad opportunities and if the AP's from high school were helpful in entering as a sophomore?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: George Mason Study Abroad and AP Credits

• RymorPRymorP 6 replies1 threads New Member
    I can't speak on the study abroad, but I can speak on the transfer of AP credits. They can help you transfer as a Sophomore, but may not be applicable to the degree that your daughter is pursuing. My Son is in his Second Semester, his admitted status is freshman, but because of his AP Credits, on paper, he is being shown as a Sophmore. Even though his AP Credits transferred, he could not use them towards the degree he's pursuing. He's in the Honors College and pursuing an Engineering degree, which does not match his AP Credit s for theDegree requirements.

I would suggest using the Transfer Credit Matrix on the Mason site and match them to the requirements of the degree that your daughter is pursuing. That will give you some idea, if they will meet the degree requirements.
    · Reply · Share
  • SavMom9801SavMom9801 18 replies1 threads Junior Member
    George Mason has a very interesting program for Freshman called Global Gateway. It is one of the reasons that GM is at the top of my DD's list. She is very interested in studying abroad. I can't review the program because we haven't experienced it yet.

http://studyabroad.gmu.edu/gateway/index.html
    · Reply · Share
  • TubagirlllTubagirlll 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Anyone know when we hear for university scholars?
    · Reply · Share
  • RymorPRymorP 6 replies1 threads New Member
    edited January 14
    Transfer Credit Matrix for AP and Dual Enrollment:

https://admissions.gmu.edu/transfer/transferCreditSearch.asp
    edited January 14
    · Reply · Share
  • doodlewranglerdoodlewrangler 28 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Mason has a huge variety of study abroad programs. Quite a few of them come with small scholarships; many are at the same rate of tuition you would pay on the Fairfax Campus. They also have their own campus in Korea. http://www.gmu.edu/depts/cge/
    · Reply · Share