Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Last Minute Chance?

HankChinaskiHankChinaski Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I'm dying over here, someone please let me know whether I should hold my breath for tomorrow or not!
GPA: 3.4 (bad freshman/first semester of sophomore year, distinct upward trend)
SAT: 2230 (800 CR, 790 W, 640 M)
SAT II: 730 Lit., 650 US History
APs: World History (5), US History (4), English Language & Composition (5), US Gov. this year, and I'm taking the Macroeconomics test, but couldn't take the class due to scheduling conflicts.
ECs: Student representative to my school district's board of directors this year; had an internship at the state capital with the president of the state firefighter's union; won a short-play writing contest and had it performed in Seattle and published in an anthology; currently have an after-school job as an assistant in a lawyer's office; several years of theater; co-founded/co-president of Harry Potter club (which is silly, but it turned into a 50+ person club, and included throwing a charity Yule Ball and organizing Quidditch matches with our rival high school).
Good Common App essay, very GW-centric supplement essay, and an additional essay for applying to the Political Communications program.
Recommendation letters from my history teacher who I have a very good relationship with, the guy who I had my internship with, and the superintendent of the school district.

In summation: Poor GPA, good SATs, good ECs but not many of them, solid essays, and great recommendations.
I'll know soon enough, but in the meantime, any idea what my chances are?
Post edited by HankChinaski on

Replies to: Last Minute Chance?

• ezbreezezbreez Registered User Posts: 236 Junior Member
    You're in about the same boat as me. Almost identical, actually. Your SAT scores and SAT II scores are higher than mine, but our GPAs are similar, and we have the same scores on Lang and APUSH.

Personally, I think you have a really good chance (definitely a better chance than me, with those scores!). Don't worry, I think you'll be in. Only 7 more hours to wait though!
  • HankChinaskiHankChinaski Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Well I hope we both get good news! This wait is certainly a nervewracking experience. I got waitlisted at American, much to my surprise and chagrin, so I'm really hoping that this one comes through.
This discussion has been closed.