Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Presidential Scholarship Amounts

NewJerseyMomNewJerseyMom Registered User Posts: 776 Member
My daughter was accepted and received a $10,000 Presidential Scholarship. Her ACT was 33 and her GPA was 3.89 unweighted and 4.31 weighted - all accelerated and AP classes. The Presidential Scholarship amounts I am seeing on this board are much higher than what she received. Does anyone know what determines the amount?
Post edited by NewJerseyMom on

Replies to: Presidential Scholarship Amounts

• wfva1013wfva1013 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    NewJerseyMom, I am not sure how they decide. My son got accepted with a $15,000 Presidential Scholarship. Looked at the site but it didn't give particular criteria as to how they choose the amounts.
  • esthetiqueesthetique Registered User Posts: 1,106 Senior Member
    hmm...that is strange. i'm also from nj, ACT of 32, GPA of 3.7-8 unweighted, and all honors and AP classes too. but i got $15k. maybe ec's and community service could be factors. i do have a decent amount of them.
  • philly0326philly0326 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    i also got the presidential scholarship for 10,000 dollars.
    2020 sat 3.9 gpa unweighted
    or it could be decided on if they think you're going to attend or not. i've noticed that a lot of the bigger scholarships are awarded to those with somewhat mediocre stats. they're probably trying make it look more appealing so they'd attend.
  • BefuddledParentBefuddledParent Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    We're feeling pretty bummed because my daughter was offered nothing at all, and there's no way we can afford it now. And her stats were pretty good -- 34 ACT, 4.00, lots of APs and ECs. She really likes GW, so it will hurt to tell her she can't go.
  • schmohawkschmohawk Registered User Posts: 1,141 Senior Member
    Esthetique, that really makes no sense at all. Why would they entice mediocre students with big scholarships?
  • littlejesslittlejess Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    I got the $15000 with a 2230 SAT, 4.42w GPA, 33 SAT, and pretty decent ECs.
    gwu probably knows that those with lower stats will most likely attend and those with higher stats probably will get into better colleges and then refuse their admission. so they're probably offering those they know who'll most likely attend more money. and those who aren't less because otherwise it'd be a waste? sorry if that's a bad explanation...
  • topramennbaklavatopramennbaklava Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    $10k here, I slightly agree with esthetique. Right now, I checked and GWU still doesn't have my FAFSA or CSS profile...agh, I guess I should resubmit? Or, wait on the other privates?
  • irimmagirimmag Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Um, I don't know. I got the Board of Trustees scholarship for 25K, and I have a 4.0 unweighted, 2050 SAT, and tons of ecs. I'd say my stats are pretty decent.
  • DeskPotatoDeskPotato Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    Esthetique, I think that GW wait-lists or rejects students that they don't think are genuinely interested in attending. This protects their "yield." But if they have admitted them, they do have an interest in attracting the top students to enroll.

As with all of these decisions, there are probably some factors that the committees take into consideration that we aren't aware of or can't compare in an apples-to-applies fashion (in other words, it's not just grades and test scores).

I've been, as a parent, on both sides of the "I don't get it" reaction--kid getting scholarship while others who seemed "more qualified" didn't, and vice-versa, so I'm convinced there is just something at work that we don't know about.

This being said, it should also be noted that GW (and other schools) have two kinds of merit scholarships. The merit scholarships for students with need, such as the "Board of Trustees" scholarship and various other named scholarships (look at the list on the website--it's really long) may be in very large amounts. The merit scholarships awarded to applicants who do not qualify for need-based aid seem to be offered in amounts in the $10-$15 K range, although, again, I don't think we know why someone gets one amount or another.
  • PrinceMuzicPrinceMuzic Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    I got the $15K one. 1920 SAT; 3.75 GPA (Un-weighted); really, really good ECs with lots of leadership. I'd say I'm pretty qualified.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CC App

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CC App
  • NewJerseyMomNewJerseyMom Registered User Posts: 776 Member
    I am guessing DD will not receive need based aid based on the type of merit she received.
  • advertisinggaladvertisinggal Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    anyone apply to the BS/MD program? Have decisions come out yet?
  • littlejesslittlejess Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Guh, I hope that getting a merit scholarship doesn't disqualify me from any need-based. I kind of still need money in order to go.
This discussion has been closed.