Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Appealing merit amount?

2»

Replies to: Appealing merit amount?

• awkturtleawkturtle Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    Congrats to your son/daughter for getting in njmom! I appealed my merit amount (or lack there of) last year when I got in and sent them copies of my scholarships from comparable colleges as well as higher ranked in-state ones. While they did NOT give me an automatic offer of a merit scholarship the financial aid office was extremely helpful in helping me find university affiliated scholarships I could apply for that ultimately allowed me to afford the school.

If you are already getting something from GW it's unlikely that they'll give you more but it can't hurt to try and contact someone in an effort to work with financial aid on you package. If you do contact them I would suggest alerting them to any financial changes in your family since applying as well as expressing your interest in the university (this should come from your child not you however). Hope that helps and congrats!
  • NewJerseyMomNewJerseyMom Registered User Posts: 776 Member
    Awkturtle - do you recommend email or snail mail?
  • awkturtleawkturtle Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    I don't think it makes a difference. I believe I simply sent an e-mail with a letter attached. Snail mail may be nicer in that it shows more efforts but it also is slower.
2»
This discussion has been closed.