right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Chances for ED II SMPA

Nyr1996Nyr1996 41 replies5 threads Junior Member
Chance for GW ED II
I applied to the School of Media and Public Affairs as a political communications major. So far I've been accepted to Mizzou and Drexel, and I also applied to Maryland and American if I don't get accepted to GW. Let me know what you think!

GPA
3.55 UW 4.38W

ACT

All honors classes, if not honors then AP
3 ap world
4 eng lit
4 biology
5 us history

Sat subject tests
710 biology/e
750 United States history

ECs
Editor in chief of award wining school paper
Intern at local newspaper for 2 years
Intern at immigration advocacy group
Bank of America student leader
National honor society
3 year varsity lacrosse player
Started volunteer group and separate charity business
Worked at a camp for 3 years

I am a girl (Jewish) from the tri-state area, which may hurt me.

I also have shown lots of demonstrated interest, attending a gw event at my school, visiting, and interviewing. I'm mostly nervous about my low gpa and my common app essay, which wasn't bad but didn't reveal enough about me.

Also, I'm ranked 43/470 unweighted, and 35/470 weighted
edited January 2014
2 replies
Post edited by Nyr1996 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances for ED II SMPA

• aliahm08aliahm08 4 replies5 threads New Member
    I think you have a good chance. I got in EDI, with a 3.18 and 1770. My essays and recommendations were stellar, my extra cirricular were meaningful, and my interview was great. I live overseas but I'm still a domestic applicant, but I think GW does care about interest, they did for me I reckon. I did have some extra advantages like my principal calling in voluntarily to the school. But, I also got into Drexel with great financial aid (35-40k of grants and scholarship) and Indiana's Kelley School of Business (13th best undergraduate b-school). This process is about being unique, and you've got some standout extra cirriculars, and good back up schools. I did apply to GW's Business school however, but regardless I didn't stand a chance given only my stats. In my opinion, you'll be fine...but even if the answer's negative, 1: you already got into other good schools, 2: you applied to other great schools!
    · Reply · Share
  • Nyr1996Nyr1996 41 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Thanks for responding and congrats!! To be honest, I'm not too worried about getting into ccas (knock on wood). It's SMPA that I'm scared of. I know that last year they only took 80 kids total so I'm curious about the ED I kids from this year that got in to SMPA. I know I'd be happy anywhere I end up, but I really have my heart set on DC.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity