Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

GWU - Fall 2015 Applicant - Chance Me!

jv3cc923jv3cc923 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
Hi! I hope someone can help me with a few questions I have about GW. I'm really curious about my chances of gaining acceptance for the fall of 2016. First, I'll tell a little bit about myself. I am a rising senior in high school, and my cumulative weighted GPA is a 4.33. My school is one of the most prestigious in the state, so I assume that will help my application in some way. I hope to continue the upward trend for next year. I just took my SATs -- 1410/1600; 2130/2400. I am really involved in my school's extracurriculars. I am a part of the Science Olympiad, Academic Bowl, and Spanish Club. I am also a part of a nationally-ranked "TEAMS" (Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics, and Science) team (3rd & 9th in nation). I am a member of my school's chapter of the National Honor Society. I recently won an art award from the Scholastic Art and Writing Competition. It earned significant recognition - 2 Gold Keys, 2 American Vision Awards, an article in Scholastic's magazine, along with The Best Teen Writing of 2014. I have also taken 5 APs/7 honors courses up to this point, and am scheduled for 5 more APs for next year (senior year). I also won the National Spanish Exam's Junior Travel Award, an award in which recipients travel to a Spanish-speaking country for one week, all expenses paid. I was one of 24 in the nation. Also, I am a two-sport varsity athlete: football and basketball. I volunteer at three organizations in my free time. I think that covers most of it. I am seeking any insight from current/past students, or simply anyone who has some sort of knowledge of the admissions criteria. Any tips? How do I stand based on my current grades/scores/extracurriculars? Also, what are the financial aid and merit packages like? I am a resident of Delaware.

Replies to: GWU - Fall 2015 Applicant - Chance Me!

• jv3cc923jv3cc923 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    edited June 2015
    Also, for current/past students, what is the social scene like?
  • premature_graypremature_gray Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    You are obviously a great candidate for a lot of schools, including schools that are more selective than GW. At GW, it's important to display interest, so if you can visit and/or attend a local visit from an admissions rep, that will help.
  • NHufferNHuffer Forum Champion GWU Posts: 867 Forum Champion
    I echo @premature_gray 100%. You are a great candidate and I think the only way you WOULDN'T get in is if you didn't show enough interest. Even if you can't make a trip to visit the campus, I think an essay that clearly states why you want GW and why it's the school for you would get you in.

Good luck, and keep plugging away at school!
This discussion has been closed.