Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

George Washington U. is Now Test-Optional

2»

Replies to: George Washington U. is Now Test-Optional

• EarlVanDornEarlVanDorn Registered User Posts: 1,283 Senior Member
    @jackrabbit14 said
    I think the NCAA clearinghouse requires that college athletes meet certain minimum scores in order to be eligible to play.
    Indeed the NCAA has very "rigorous" ACT requirements. Athletes with a high school core course g.p.a. of 3.55 must earn at least a 9 on the ACT, or random guess. At a lot of crap high schools any turnip can make a 3.55. There have been numerous cases in urban districts where students with stellar grade-points have been unable to pass a simple functional literacy test. They are pleasant and pliant and earn good grades despite being dumb as rocks.

I hope this will be a disaster for GWU. Students tend to actually learn things when preparing for the ACT or SAT, particularly in the math section. All they are doing is lowering the quality of higher education in an effort to attract more really dumb students.
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    GW is trying to game the ranking system.
    - Increase the number of applicants (lowers acceptance rate)
    - increase yield (students not reporting tests have fewer options)
    - increase reported test scores (only students with high test scores submit)
    - And as a bonus get more full pays (test optional parents school shop so they can brag - kid isn't getting into elite, state flagship, this is their new strategy. They are typically rich)
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,384 Senior Member
    There are plenty of options for a student who wants to go test optional or "test flexible" There are about 800 schools, with almost 200 considered very good schools. My ipad is misbehaving and wont let me copy/paste the link , but check www.fairtest.org/university/optional. Maybe a student has "fewer" options, but they still have plenty of options.

• giterdonegiterdone Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    This will help less priveledged students that have not been groomed to excel on the SAT

false

They won't offer much or any FA to kids who don't report test scores.
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    It's the schools that are trying to game the system:
    - Wake Forest
    - George Washington
    And some liberal arts colleges
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,384 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Plenty of schools are trying to increase their applications, lower their acceptance rate and push their "selectivity". If you mean by gaming the system that they are trying to raise their ranking in US news, thats a big "who cares".
  • foosondaughterfoosondaughter Registered User Posts: 314 Member
    From their policy:
    [The approach] reflects the most current data analysis regarding the use of testing in admission....Students who feel their SAT or ACT scores are an accurate reflection of their academic abilities are welcome to submit them for consideration.
    How phoney. This amounts to the school admissions people saying: "Save us from ourselves!" Any student with poor scores will no doubt feel they don't reflect their abilities; if the school feels this is often or even occasionally the case, why can't they choose to disregard scores for otherwise strong performers? Bottom line is they know that prospective students -- as well as ranking systems like US News -- look at the scores to assess the caliber of the student body. That measure (particularly the 25th percentile) will now be artificially higher.
  • Zoomer17Zoomer17 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2015
    I couldn't agree more with your comment 314mom. With a dyslexic high school student preparing for the college application process, hopefully now her grades and achievements can speak for themselves versus worrying about the challenges of long test taking scores.
  • koolkat25koolkat25 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Regardless of there hidden agenda, GW and other schools are finally realizing that the SAT and ACT does not reflect students' abilities in the classroom. It helps some, but not all. I have a friend who received an 1800 on the SAT, but has a 4.6 CUM GPA.
  • NJDad65NJDad65 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Foos,
    Not every student with poor test scores can build a case that it doesn't reflect their abilities. You actually need good grades through four years of high school. Bottom line is some students do not do well with standardized tests and thus four years of high school within a classroom environment (just like college) is a better indicator of aptitude and ability. Not to mention the SAT keeps changing it's format (i.e. with writing/without writing) as they try to get it right...should this metric then carry so much weight in the admission process.

• proca12proca12 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi everyone! I applied EDII and was wondering if you guys sent in sat subject tests??
  • NHufferNHuffer Forum Champion GWU Posts: 948 Forum Champion
    @proca12 I think more people will see your question if you post it as a new thread.
This discussion has been closed.