right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

George Washington University Fall 2019 transfers

Replies to: George Washington University Fall 2019 transfers

• maira91maira91 54 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @Dogsshouldvote you might have an easier time applying as Geography major but I honestly think that should choose the major that you want to end up with don't change your major for the sake of getting in. Good luck to you as well!:)
    · Reply · Share
  • taylor99taylor99 79 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Hi all! I am currently a freshman at a large public university, hoping to transfer into GW CAS for the fall of 2019 as a philosophy major.

white/female/US

STATS

HIGH SCHOOL: large public high school (#1 in the state), class of over 600, top 15%
    GPA: unweighted 3.967; weighted 4.02
    ACT: 32 (36 English, 35 Reading, 27 Math (ouch), 31 Science) superscore is 33
    AP's: APUSH and APworld (A's in both, passed Ap tests)
    completed 12 credit hours of dual-credit enrollment at local university during senior year (4.0)
    EC's
    2 years of varsity sport
    founder of nonprofit that donated prom dresses to underprivileged girls at my high school
    organizer (3 years) of my high school's large philanthropy event ($2mil raised over 3 years)
    60 + volunteer hours with 2 organizations for women with special needs
    worked as a sales associate at Kendra Scott
    worked as an assistant teacher at a local Montessori daycare
    volunteered with CMNH
    National Honor Society
    Yoga club officer/treasurer
    practiced/performed Italian opera
    AWARDS
    Academic Bar Award
    Academic Letter of Excellence
    Varsity Athletic Letter of Excellence
    Salutatorian of Class of 2018

COLLEGE: Oklahoma State University FRESHMAN, Political Science major; Philosophy minor (honors college)
    GPA: 4.0 (President's Honor Roll)
    HOURS: completed 27, enrolled in 12 currently (one upper-division)
    EC's
    Internship with national nonprofit for women with special needs– based in NYC (Director of Content Writing)- honors hours
    Research Assistant for Poli Sci department chair- honors hours
    President of the Freshman Student Council of the College of Arts & Sciences
    Active Member of Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority
    volunteer for CASA (15 hours/semester)
    Freshman Follies (huge musical/philanthropy event, 30 hours/week for 8 weeks)
    AWARDS
    Regent's Distinguished Scholar (2nd best merit scholarship)
    Freshman Research Scholar (OSU's freshman research is HARD to get into)

My best letter of ref is coming from a professor last semester that basically encouraged me to transfer, and I know it will be a strong letter. The second is from another professor, but won't be as strong. My essays are very well-written and clearly convey my reasons for transferring.

What are my chances? Columbia is my #1, but GW is what I (hope) plan on being my safety.

Here are the other schools I am applying to (in no order):
    Barnard
    NYU
    Brown
    Yale
    Georgetown
    Columbia American University
    Penn
    · Reply · Share
    @ Taylor your stats look amazing! Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • Gatetransfer21Gatetransfer21 62 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Hi everyone! I'm a potential transfer from a liberal arts school in New England. Lower gpa (3.5) due to significant illness but have bounced back since then, so we'll see :)
    · Reply · Share
  • collegestudent02collegestudent02 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hey everyone. This might be a dumb question (lol), but how do you submit thecollege report? I haven't submitted my app yet, so I'm assuming after I do I get the login info for the GW Portal and submit the form there? Or is it by mail/does it matter?
    · Reply · Share
    @collegestudent02 you print out the college report form from the common app then take that to your school and ask your school to send the college report for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • Kennedy1962Kennedy1962 35 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Hey guys! Just jumping on the thread. Just applied this week... so scared we are legit never going to hear back like last year's transfers.
    · Reply · Share
  • favepotatofavepotato 12 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15 New Member
    What happened to last year transfers? @Kennedy1962
    · Reply · Share
  • Kennedy1962Kennedy1962 35 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    @favepotato It was just really dramatic... decisions were rolling out from May to legit July and people were going crazzzzzzzzzzzzy! We can only hope that GW gets its stuff together sooner this year.
    · Reply · Share
  • taylor99taylor99 79 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Hey guys! I was accepted to NYU last Thursday so I won’t be applying to GW— best of luck to you all and congratulations in advance on your acceptances!
    · Reply · Share
  • lycorislycoris 95 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    Hi everyone! I'm planning to transfer from a MD community college, talked to some reps before applying and they said that just about anyone with a 3.2+ is guaranteed to be accepted. Is anyone familiar with what the financial aid is like at GW? I basically got nothing from UMBC so I'm hoping that GW will be more generous. Also, is anyone else a Public Health major? Still waiting on my decision from UMD.
    · Reply · Share
  • Redacted1Redacted1 63 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    edited April 12
    Does anyone know if we'll really be waiting until a June/July timeframe or really just early May? June/July seems reaaaaaly late, though that is what is posted on the website.

I can't find any real data in the open source, I'm weighing making a case and calling admissions.
    edited April 12
    · Reply · Share
  • lycorislycoris 95 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    edited April 12
    @Redacted1 I talked with an admissions rep before applying and they said that it depends on when you applied. If you applied way before the deadline then you'll get your decision by early May, the closer you apply to the deadline, the later you should expect to hear your decision.
    edited April 12
    · Reply · Share
  • Redacted1Redacted1 63 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    @lycoris , thanks a bunch - I finished my application around 20 days after it opened. I had presaged all of my applications... I had plenty of time due to my work schedule :-)
    · Reply · Share
    @lycoris Oh how I hope the 3.2 GPA thing is true! Also, thank you so much for sharing this information with the rest of us!
    · Reply · Share