Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit Scholarships?!

smoltz08smoltz08 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
The website says that gw gives full tuition scholarships, but from what I've heard, no ones gotten one. Do they actually give them, and if so, what do you need to get one, cause this school's way too expensive to attend w/o one.
Post edited by smoltz08 on

Replies to: Merit Scholarships?!

• saxsax Registered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    Many, many kids offered half tuition scholarships. Also some deal if you achieve and keep a 3.8 there is some money there. It was all on the web site.
  • smoltz08smoltz08 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    yeah but then it still costs 30k a year. I just wanted to know if they still have FULL tuition scholarships..
  • natedawg_cfbnatedawg_cfb Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    no they don't offer full tuition scholarships.
  • insanity90insanity90 Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    anyone know if they give any $ to national merit scholars?
  • COMomCOMom Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    GW was a sponsor of National Merit Scholarships awards, as of last year at least... My d was offered a "Board of Trustees" merit scholarship from GW last year and they said, when I called to inquire as to whether she could still be eligible for the Nat. Merit award, that they had already taken her NMF standing into account when offering her that scholarship (which was worth MUCH more than the university sponsored NM Scholarships).
  • researchmavenresearchmaven Registered User Posts: 875 Member
    smoltz08-Are you talking about full tuition need scholarships or just merit scholarships? Yes, some people get full tuition scholarships, but not just based on merit.
  • smoltz08smoltz08 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    Yeah i was basically talking about merit. Idk how much need based id get..
  • researchmavenresearchmaven Registered User Posts: 875 Member
    I think it's best to apply to a number of schools and wait to see what each school gives you (need + merit) and then compare and contrast. I would not have preconceived notions as to how expensive a school is. The sticker price is often not the actual price. However, I also would not fall in love with a school until I found out what package I had received and knew the school at that point was financially realistic. I know this is easier said than done, but it is the best strategy.
This discussion has been closed.