Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

appreciate your time to chance

HomericHeroHomericHero Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
hi guys

fantastic essays (commonapp one has received much praise, shows my character; supp is passionate about DC location and my style of learning)

superior letters of rec (best student in career--- made for politics, blah blah); supp letter from executive director of a HUGE lobbyist group in DC

extracirrics are very strong

president of NHS, Orthodox Youth Group, Greek Fraternal Benefit group
VP of JSA, Choir
secretary of choir CLUB
science bowl captain
boys state alumn (detailed explanation)
hospital volunteer (200 hr)
also member of environmental club
academic decathlon (1st in county, 6th in state)
competitive greek dance for 10 years (two 1st place medals, two 2nd place medals, one 4th place medal----National)
altar boy for 9 years and altar captain for 3 years
competitive greek choir for 2 years (sweepstakes award----National)

My attached resume explains the commitment I have to the first three especially (hosting causes, raising over 4k for an event here, 3k there, etc)

some other honors: ap scholar with distinction, principals honor roll, outstanding citizenship, special achievement in social sciences

GPA uw: 3.3 (weak, I know)
GPA w: 3.99

SAT: 1280/1910
ACT: 29

what i want to know though is...how much do mid-year reports help out? my counselor will be talking about the promising trend in my progress...(1st semester senior grades will be a perfect 5.0)

Chances?
Post edited by HomericHero on

Replies to: appreciate your time to chance

• HomericHeroHomericHero Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Anyone?

Please?
  • MsBCMsBC Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Not certain b/c of your GPA. My ACT/SAT scores were similar but had an unweighted GPA of 3.8. According to my Admission Rep GW really does strongly consider GPA vs. test scores. So I recommend that you start showing a lot of interest, ie. interview, contact with Ad Rep in order to increase your chances.
  • MsBCMsBC Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Sorry- did not answer your question, I think the upward trend in senior year should help but you still should show extra interest if GW is one of your top choices.
  • HomericHeroHomericHero Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I had an interview for the school actually. It went really well -- was able to effectively explain how GW and its location is perfect for the type of education I benefit from (very hands-on; finding ways to make it applicable).
  • redknightredknight Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    Not an easy shot for sure, but you also have good reason to be slightly optimistic. To me, it could go either way, and I wouldn't be surprised.
This discussion has been closed.