Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Grkam3Grkam3 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
Was anyone else quite unimpressed by their CI experience?

While it is nice to have school pride and I am all for it, The Cabinet went WAY over the top in my opinion with their exaggerated cheers and yells and dances.

While I am certain that preppy students are found on every campus across the country, I could never have imagined the number that were at my CI - there was an unbelievable exhorbitance of popped collars and flip-flops (for the guys). All of the conversations in my dorm seemed to be about sex and how they plan to dump their current girlfriends before college starts.

Registering for classes was the worst. I came in with 5 specific classes and got none of them. I also thought it quite unfair that people were given specific times to register - I was an 8:30 appointment, so obviously the 8:00 appointments had first dibs on the classes. As a result of the mayhem, I wound up with many classes that I am not interested in and at times that are quite undesirable.

Despite all of the negatives, I did meet a few real, friendly people throughout my stay, which gives me some optimism. I also am optimistic that CI is not a valid representation of what college life is like, with scheduled events and so forth. I still believe I will enjoy my years at GW, but CI did not help those feelings much.
Post edited by Grkam3 on

Replies to: Ci

• HooHoo Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    I loved ci. GW isn't that preppy. The only reason you think that is because all the ci people had to wear polos as a uniform. I wouldn't worry so much. Yeah and we will be able to register for classes when they take off our holds so you can still change them. And as for the sex...most 18-year-old guys are obsessed with sex.
  • joshh_87joshh_87 Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    Yeah, we can change classes. I wasn't too impressed with CI either (still enjoyed it though), but apparently that's not rare. Go check out a couple of the opinion columns in the summer edition of the Hatchet...there are a few from current students who were really unimpressed with CI when they went, but now completely love the school.
  • dspringerdspringer Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    What date does the class registration re-open?
    July 11 is what I'm hearing.
  • amk12amk12 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    btw.. y can't a person register on his own?! I mean, I'm gonna go 2 the international CI (since I wasn't able 2 make the others), so can't I register now on my own?! It's open.. so y not?!
    I wanna find space
  • Hope331Hope331 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    ya registration reopened yesterday. i added a jogging course to my schedule lol.
    haha, nice. :)
  • theoneotheoneo Registered User Posts: 6,934 Senior Member
    Aw, I remember CI two years ago when my sister went to GW. Although all I remember is the laser show and "video killed the radio man" over and over again. The people there all looked preppy, but that's okay, nobody is perfect :P.

It looks like a really funy school, though. Good luck, Colonials Class of 09!
  • HooHoo Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    I am really excited. I am getting giddy. Omg I am so pitiful.
  • Grkam3Grkam3 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Anyone else have the legendary 3-day college weekend?
    Workin' on it...
  • dspringerdspringer Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    I had a three day weekend, but changed it. Now I have only one class, a very easy one, at 11:30 on mondays. And only a discussion on Wends., also at 11:30. Done with school on the other days by 3pm. Life is good :)
  • idiiasidiias Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    in general GW's pretty preppy, but just keep in mind the cabinet are the extremists. and to be honest at first i loved the 3-day weekends, but then i started to hate it, cause id have 4 days of vigorous classes, then 3 days off, and it wasn't worth it.
This discussion has been closed.