Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Grade Deflation

bosox17bosox17 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
edited March 2013 in Georgetown University
I heard that there is grade deflation, especially in the business school. Do students generally have lower GPA's (around 3) and how much does this affect job opportunities.
Post edited by bosox17 on

Replies to: Grade Deflation

• ccjunior1ccjunior1 . Posts: 285 Junior Member
    I'm not too well educated on the matter but considering Georgetown does have such a good job reputation with many graduates going even to Wall Street, gpa obviously doesn't carry much weight or it is understood that grade deflation is a factor- thereby indicating some degree of leniency in the job market (particularly in reference to Georgetown)
  • hotairhotair Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    I haven't heard much about grade deflation at the business school, the SFS has some grade deflation going on though, at least at the top, as you need about a 95 average to get A's in most courses and the econ curve is designed so that 10% get A's, 15% A-'s, 50% some range of B's, etc.
  • BuegieBuegie Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    There is a curve in the business school. For intro courses it's usually ~30% will be in the A/A- range and for upper level courses it's ~50%. And GPA still definitely matters. For the better job opportunities they'll want to see a minimum of 3.5 and most of the kids going into banking and stuff have 3.7+
  • f0ssilf0ssil Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    Yes there's a curve in the MSB (which I am not personally familiar with, but Buegie's response seems right based on my roommate's experience), but I'd like to point out that the Econ curve is ridiculously inflated. 85% of students in Econ classes get some form of A or B. Additionally, the average graduating GPA from Georgetown is a 3.42, which is far higher than at most peer institutions - my friend at Cornell said that there it's around a 2.6 (a B-).

Fischer: Short-Sightedness on Grade Inflation - Opinion - The Hoya
This discussion has been closed.