right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Georgetown dorms and rodents

Mamabear03Mamabear03 11 replies2 threads New Member
I was reading old (2017/18) forums and wondered if there is still a rodent problem in the dorms? Any current students care to share their experience?
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Georgetown dorms and rodents

• damon30damon30 1147 replies5 threads Senior Member
    From Googling, rats are mostly seen outside the buildings and less often inside.

https://www.thehoya.com/housing-open-letter-georgetown-facilities/
    · Reply · Share
  • spqr70njspqr70nj 421 replies2 threads Member
    edited May 2019
    Most rats are found at the Capitol. 🤣
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6936 replies171 threads Senior Member
    Less often inside. That’s really comforting I’m sure
    · Reply · Share
  • 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom 389 replies9 threads Member
    There are still issues with housing upkeep and with rats on campus, along with various vermin in dorms. Check out the Instagram georgetown.hotmess and google “Of Mice and Mold,” which is a column in The Hoya.
    · Reply · Share
  • Savage101Savage101 135 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Current student here. The rats are mostly outside, but there has been rats/mouses in the dorms.
    ***Make sure to keep no open food out.***
    My roommate was absolutely gross; he had open bags of food scattered throughout the room. Consequently, a rodent was heard inside the walls. He didn't get into our room though.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mamabear03Mamabear03 11 replies2 threads New Member
    Thanks. Curious about the mold. I have heard it is in a lot of the dorm showers. Do the facilities there not attend to these matters or do the students not care?
    · Reply · Share
  • AshtashAshtash 649 replies26 threads Member
    @Mamabear03 The students certainly care, but the administration doesn't seem to care. I'm a current student, and I've heard many students say their work orders for mold were ignored for weeks. However, as soon as students got their parents to call facilities finally came to take care of the issue.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with mold, but there are certainly some problems with mold and occasional laundry room flooding in some older dorms. There are many rats, but they're all outside. There have been some indoor mice issues, but I think that got taken care of.

The students do certainly care and georgetown hotmess instagram is a great example. Apparently public shaming wasn't enough to fix things, but several articles have been written in student publications. There was even a NY Times article published at the end of August called, "When College Dormitories Become Health Hazards," and Georgetown was pretty prominent in it.

I do think the issues come from a mixture of things, including Georgetown's location, old facilities, endowment issues maybe, and certainly management issues in facilities and administration. I don't have evidence for these claims, however, and your guess is as good as mine. From my experience, I can certainly tell you the administration is a bit apathetic, however.

While it sounds bad, and it certainly is bad, it hasn't negatively affected my experience here. I certainly don't mean to minimize the issues though because they do need to be addressed
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity