right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Chances at Georgetown?

geckogeekgeckogeek 13 replies7 threads Junior Member
I have a 3.85 at a very competitive private school, 34 ACT, strong ECs and my college counselor is telling me not to even bother applying to Georgetown if I don't have a 4.0. Agree?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances at Georgetown?

• LZHopeLZHope 68 replies17 threads Junior Member
    I would say being a student at a "very competitive private school" would actually make your chances more difficult, not to sound rude.

No offense to your counselor, but they are absolutely wrong. I have heard of someone with a 3.8 GPA who got into Yale, though they had excellent ECs.

What are your extracurriculars?
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2994 replies14 threads Senior Member
    I think that your counselor is wrong and may simply be trying to keep the percentages of successes up, by making sure that only the ones who are really

With a 3.85 GPA with a rigorous course set at a competitive high school, you are competitive for Georgetown.

Is this you high school's GC, or a private college counselor?
    · Reply · Share
  • geckogeekgeckogeek 13 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Mostly community service, soccer, tennis, Model UN, voter registration and an internship where I produced a get out the vote video.
    · Reply · Share
    I've sensed that too about my HS counselor. My school is very proud of its placement record.
    · Reply · Share
  • somewhere2022somewhere2022 39 replies1 threads Junior Member
    3.85 is not a bad GPA, 34 ACT is totally within Georgetown range, and your extracurriculars seem good and give a sense of why you might do well at Georgetown. I would definitely 'bother' applying; you have a real chance
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • TenTsewang4TenTsewang4 68 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Don't listen to your counselor and apply anywhere you want. I recently transferred to Georgetown, had a terrible high school GPA and dropped out of my first college. I bounced back fortunately, by getting good grades and leadership positions. Just make sure to nail the alumni interview and really do your research on the school. My essays were a large part of why I got in because i named specific things and qualities of georgetown that are unmatched anywhere else.
    · Reply · Share