Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance a poli sci geek?

kayabertzkayabertz Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
edited December 2008 in Georgetown University
Objective:
  • SAT I (breakdown): 2350 (800 CR, 750 M, 800 W)
  • SAT II: 790 US History, 750 Lit, 750 Math Lvl 2
  • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
  • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/400
  • AP (place score in parenthesis): USH (5), Microecon (5), Calculus AB (4)
  • Senior Year Course Load: AP: Spanish Lang, English Lit and Stats. Also self-studying AP Psych, Macroecon and European History.
  • Awards: NMSF, AP Scholar
Subjective:
  • Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Youth in Government (President, 3 state awards); Academic Team (Captain, state champs last year—hooray!); Model UN; PAC (planned/ran leadership conferences); Student Council.
  • Volunteer/Community service: 200 hours at local history museum
  • Summer Activities: Girls State and Girls Nation
Other
  • Intended Major: Political Science! SFS all the way...
  • State (if domestic applicant): FL
  • School Type: Public, poor (average SAT score is 1410—all 3 sections!)
  • Ethnicity: White
  • Income Bracket: $100k
General Comments: Besides chancing me, do you see any ways I could improve my app? Is there anything that doesn't make sense to you that I should explain to the adcom?
Post edited by kayabertz on

Replies to: Chance a poli sci geek?

• asci09asci09 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    i'd say you have an extremely good shot at this school. i'm not an expert but your scores are outstanding and your extracurriculars are icing on the cake
  • rabar789rabar789 Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    You are academically exactly what Gtown needs. In your app, just play up what makes you stand out from the rest (i.e., there's a lot of smart kids out there --- tell them that you're not just a smart kid!).
  • Fastfood15Fastfood15 Registered User Posts: 644 Member
    you should definitely be a strong candidate. although nothing is certain. I would advise you to look through the early results thread to get a feel for what scores people have when they are admitted/rejected.
  • simpson98simpson98 Registered User Posts: 749 Member
    Gtown is really big into leadership, maybe even more so than SAT scores, and you get high marks on both, so I'd say you have a good shot!
  • kayabertzkayabertz Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    Thanks, everyone! I was really worried about my app, but your encouragement made my day! :)
This discussion has been closed.