Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
shaleyshaley Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited June 2010 in Georgetown University
Coming from California, I'm a little nervous about the cold. What is the temperature like in the dorms, particularly in the winter? Would you recommend getting a duvet cover with a down comforter, or will a regular comforter be enough to keep warm? Thanks!
Post edited by shaley on

Replies to: Bedding

• bumblebee496bumblebee496 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I tend to get cold easily so I'm bring a down comforter as well... Georgetown tends to be generally warm, I think, and the rooms can heat up pretty quickly. There's always ACs and heaters in every room so that's a plus... if you're nervous about being cold, I would bring a down comforter either way. It may be decent temperature for some, but you could be slightly cold if you've been used to the Cali weather...
  • hoyasaxa92hoyasaxa92 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    I would get a regular comforter, but bring an extra blanket or two. you might want to bundle up when it gets warm, but if you only have a down comforter that could be warm/uncomfortable when we first get there (early september in dc is still supposed to be PRETTTTY hot and humid)
  • sdr691sdr691 Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    DC is pretty warm (though admittedly I'm originally from DC) - but it is definitely hot and humid in September, and I got away with wearing flip-flops til December this year. The winter isn't that bad, though it was not so great this year, but I'd prefer getting a down comforter and then some blankets. September (and to an extent October) are pretty warm, and April and May are also really warm. You should be fine for the most part, though the down comforter might help should the heat be out in your room or if it's just really cold.

I've lived in Pennsylvania, where it is a bit colder, and the winter was pretty cold. I needed my comforter to be warm because even with the heat it wasn't always that great, and I know plenty of people whose heat went out randomly.
This discussion has been closed.