Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Worth applying?

chinesedumplingschinesedumplings Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
edited July 2010 in Georgetown University
My school limits the number of applications to 6, so I have to pick schools wisely. I have decided to apply to schools where I have a chance because I don't want to end up being rejected from all schools. Do I have a decent enough shot to warrant applying?

2280 SAT (800M, 740CR, 740W)
800 Math II, 800 Physics, 800 Chemistry
IB: 43/45 Predicted, Full Candidate
No GPA/Rank/APs offered at my school

8 International Math Competition Awards (nothing amazing, average AIME qualifier level (6 points at AIME))
1 National Award for Business
7 School Awards

President/Founder of 3 Clubs in School
Run successful business
Internship at Barclays
Organized 3 science projects
Student Council
2000 hours of community service
Varsity Basketball
10 Major leadership roles

4 Languages

Chinese
No Financial Aid
Great recommendations/essays.
International Applicant.
Post edited by chinesedumplings on

Replies to: Worth applying?

• flight23flight23 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    Well, according to these stats, Georgetown would be a safety haha.
  • hoyasaxa92hoyasaxa92 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a safety, but those states are much better than mine and I was accepted EA. The moral of this story is definitely do not shy away from applying to Georgetown because of fear of rejection. You have a pretty good shot I'd say
  • clg210clg210 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    With 6 apps, there's no room for random, "might as well" selections, and Georgetown's application, at least to me, seemed to be a real pain to go through if you weren't truly interested in the school, but if you've got an interest, then by all means, I would strongly encourage you to apply. Acceptance at this level is not a certainty for ANYONE--I was accepted with stats equivalent or slightly lower than yours, but I have known people with more impressive qualifications than yours who were rejected--but you've got the things you need to have a fair shot.
  • chinesedumplingschinesedumplings Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    There are 3 schools I have definitely set my mind on applying to: Wharton ED, UChicago EA, UMichigan EA (Ross pre-admit). I am also strongly contemplating Princeton for RD if I do not get in ED, but get into one of my EA schools.
  • clg210clg210 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    You probably already know this, and either way it may not impact your planning, but just so you're aware, Georgetown does not permit applying EA if you are applying ED anywhere else. YMMV
  • rainbsprinklesrainbsprinkles Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    To echo clg, you should definitely check with UChicago and the other school you are applying to EA to make sure that you are allowed to apply ED to another school. Georgetown does not allow that.
    UChicago allows applying ED to other schools, as does UMich. I verified this.
    Where does 1540/1600 put me in terms of percentiles of accepted students?
  • flight23flight23 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    Actually chinesedumplings, no Early Decision application allows you to apply to other schools EA or ED, so if you apply with UChicago's non-restrictive EA application, you would only be allowed to apply to other institutions with non-restrictive EA applications.
    ^ That's wrong. I have clarified with schools and other people who have utilized similar actions. You can apply ED to only ONE school, with as many EAs as you want, provided they're non restrictive.
This discussion has been closed.