right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Shocked parent, advice please

sweetestsweetest 10 replies1 threads New Member
My daughter was denied. She does have lots of other options, but I can not help but wonder if there was a mistake.

ACT: 35 (36 Eng, 36 Reading, 35 Science, 34 math)
gpa weighted 4.14
gpa unweighted 3.9
will graduate with 9 AP's, most scored 3 and 4 (on3 5)

Varsity sports 4 year
involved with lots of EC

Applied for Engineering Major (took complete engineering coursework offered at HS, 3 years)
White female
Large Competitive Atlanta Suburb Public school
National Merit Commended

The only downfalls I can think of are:
Jr year, she made a B in Calc AB
She will graduate with only 9 AP's, and I think the higher ranked students took more than 9 AP and/or dual enrollment classes
her class rank is 12%

Thoughts? Once she scored her 35 ACT, we thought that Tech was kind of a "safe" school for her (she previous ACT scores were 32 and 33, super score was 33). Could she re-submit her application for another major? any other ideas?

52 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Shocked parent, advice please

• droppeditdroppedit 1034 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Which engineering major? BME was tough this year. We know an in-state girl with top notch stats (ACT 36, UW 4.0, ECs, etc.) who was deferred from EA.
    · Reply · Share
  • sweetestsweetest 10 replies1 threads New Member
    Materials Science was her major choice
    · Reply · Share
  • LlamatownLlamatown 26 replies3 threads Junior Member
    That’s very odd for an in state student. For OOS it makes sense but for in state the only explanation I can think of is not trying on the why Georgia Tech questions.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23399 replies17 threads Senior Member
    They did have a record number of EA applicants.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3984 replies51 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    As an instate girl with such high stats looking at mat sci, I would ask your GC what he or she thinks is going on. Does your HS have a good relationship with your instate universities? (I would hope so). Does your DD actually want to attend though? No chance she didn't apply all in? The application looked OK? Again, your GC should be able to help. This was EA and you had Harvard as SCEA? Is that correct?
    edited January 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • droppeditdroppedit 1034 replies18 threads Senior Member
    The only things I can think of are:

1. The majors picked were packed with high stat applicants
    2. Something in the essays caused them to balk (e.g. recycled from another school)
    3. Many kids from the same HS were admitted

This acceptance process is frustratingly opaque (and GT seems less opaque than other top schools).
    · Reply · Share
  • InPursuitInPursuit 572 replies2 threads Member
    If your daughter would really like to attend Tech, she can always reach out to the admissions counselor that handles her school, although maybe wait a few days as I'm sure they will be swamped this week. It probably won't change anything, but at least then you will know that you truly did all you could to confirm there wasn't some sort of error.

As an in-state applicant with strong test scores, it was likely either an issue with grades/rigor or something really amiss in the essays. I think something in the essays is most likely, since even with the B in calculus, a 3.9 unweighted GPA with 9 AP classes doesn't raise any red flags and is definitely in range. Given that she is in-state and has also been involved in her school/community (although you don't mention if she had any leadership roles?), I would certainly have expected this profile to yield a deferral rather than being denied. The essays really do matter. Fortunately, if she really wants to attend Tech, there are several pathway programs available to in-state students that would allow her to take courses elsewhere and transfer into Tech in a year or two, although I know that's likely not an ideal solution for someone who has done as well as your daughter in high school.
    · Reply · Share
  • alooknacalooknac 1281 replies16 threads Senior Member
    They use a holistic admissions process and the overall admit rate for in state students was only 45%. Maybe the admit rate for her chosen school or major was even lower.

No one here can see into the crystal ball to view her recs, her essays, her community service, or what ran through the minds of the application readers.

http://admission.gatech.edu/freshman/holistic-review
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14899 replies1007 threads Senior Member
    Once she scored her 35 ACT, we thought that Tech was kind of a "safe" school for her

If she considered it a "safe" school then maybe she put minimal effort into the essay.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34828 replies394 threads Senior Member
    What were the math and sci AP scores? And what math and sci ECs?
    Did other kids from her hs get admitted, how many?
    · Reply · Share
  • Studious99Studious99 888 replies23 threads Member
    Sorry, but people get disappointed by Georgia Tech admission results every year. It’s much more competitive than one would expect. It has an odd niche to fill as an unassuming public school that happens to be world class in many fields. I’d check with your counselor, then move on and find another school to fall in love with. Only being top 12% of your class may have hurt. How many APs are offered? Also, scoring mostly 3s and 4s on AP exams may have hurt. I’m not sure how much attention GT pays to this stuff. I’m just trying to point out some of the inconsistencies in an otherwise strong application.
    · Reply · Share
  • studybadly2018studybadly2018 22 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Getting rejected from 40% accept rate and 25% defer rate is kind of surprise for an ACT 35 student. As a parent, you may ask your daughter to show her common application essay and Georgia tech questions, there are only two 150 word short answers there. Maybe the application show too many other interest except Engineering. You may be able to check the recommendations, or ask her recommenders about it.

What has been done is done, better focus on next school or opportunity. Just re-exam your daughter‘s application and try another in state school.
    · Reply · Share
  • studybadly2018studybadly2018 22 replies1 threads Junior Member
    The key is acting fast for some Jan 15 deadline schools. Just exam the common application and essay with your daughter, send the application by the deadline. Call the college asking extension for other application materials. You can try to find out the reason of rejection later.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    @droppedit Something negative or even just lukewarm in rec letters can be the culprit, too. I agree that having the GC go over the app for anything that maybe should be tweaked is a good idea.
    edited January 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • sweetestsweetest 10 replies1 threads New Member
    Thank you all for the helpful replies. I will contact her guidance counselor to see if there is anything amiss. In all honestly the things that you guys mentioned (maybe average essays, lack of math and science leadership EC, 3's and 4's on many science AP exams, and many students from her HS were accepted) were probably contributors to her her denial..... It's still "shocking", but as her mom I was probably expecting the 35 ACT to pull more weight than it did. Thank you again for the explainations and helping me speculate. This input is very helpful as I try to wrap my head around this decision and to help me guide her and my other kids when there reach this stage.
    · Reply · Share
  • suzy100suzy100 5695 replies58 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    @sweetest, all the best to you and to your D. This process can be brutal. I hope she does not take this too hard and I'm glad she has other options. She's a smart girl and will do well wherever she lands.
    edited January 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • amirkalaniamirkalani 16 replies1 threads New Member
    Tech is nuts this year, denied with a 36 ACT and 4.5, must have been very competitive, out of state from colorado btw
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity