Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Low UndGrad GPA can I make up with a Grad GPA

WishOnAStarWishOnAStar Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited March 2011 in Graduate School
My undergrad GPA was below a 3.0. I know this is terrible but I worked 2 jobs and struggled to get through. 2 Questions

1. My undergrad is Electrical Eng and I am now at Texas A&M pursuing my masters, I am half way finished and I have a 4.0 if I keep this up will it make up for my low undergrad GPA when applying for a PhD program at some top tier schools?

2.I just started in as an RA and it looks like I will get around 6-8 months of research experience before I start to apply to PhD programs ( this will be all the research I have), will this be enough research or should I wait one more year get another year of research experience under my belt before I apply.

***Also my GRE scores are 580-800-4.5
Post edited by WishOnAStar on

Replies to: Low UndGrad GPA can I make up with a Grad GPA

• polarscribepolarscribe Registered User Posts: 3,232 Senior Member
    Both of your GPAs will be considered, but your strong master's GPA will definitely be looked at favorably - if you've shown you can hack graduate-level work, that's what they need to know.
This discussion has been closed.