Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The most prestigious schools to the sight of top professionals schools:

Replies to: The most prestigious schools to the sight of top professionals schools:

• PeaPea Registered User Posts: 2,387 Senior Member
    bookmarked.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,361 Senior Member
    drax:

you raised most of the salient points in post #57. Besides economics another factor is being 'close to home'; while not what I would recommend it personally, Calif has a huge segment of the population whose families refuse to let them leave home. I know one local student who was accepted to a couple of top 20 med schools, one with significant $$, but will go to Irvine instead due to pressure from the 'rents.

But cost has to be huge for OOS med applicants. Quite frankly, I know many kids who would take ANY UC med over Columbia, for example. And East Bawlamer is not exactly a college-town!

But I have no input as whether the numbers get better or worse. With only 1/7th of the 'precincts' reporting, the 'data' is useless as far as I'm concerned. Add in another 150+ who are only one year-out, and it is still less than half of the applicants. Add in the fact that some/many? Cal-Engineers also apply to med school...and as MIT's data clearly shows, being an Engineer is a detriment to your app. Thus, Cal-Eng types could bring down the overall numbers.

https://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/2009seniors.stm

Alexandre: the data is the only thing that they have; it is all self-reported. Advising sucks, so no one uses Career Services unless they have to look for a real job.
  • drax12drax12 Registered User Posts: 1,407 Senior Member
    UCSD has data on its med-school applicants also. The administrators there incorporate data from the aamc site and do a better job of detailing where more of their grads go to med school. Their numbers support the fact taht most of their grads would be attending oos med schools, so I'm guessing that most of Cal's and UCLA's would be also.

I understand that most UC students would put UC's 5 med schools at the top of their lists including against the country's absolute best, and add the other 3 private ones, USC, Stanford, Loma Linda to the list for being in CA...but most will be attending oos, most have to be attending oos if they want to be MDs. In this case, the parents would have to let them go, probably begrudgingly.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,560 Senior Member
    Michigan Law School does not publish exact numbers for Law school matriculants, only ranges, such as 100+, 30-99, 20-29, 10-19 etc...

Each year, out of a class of 350-400 1st year incoming University of Michigan Law students, 40-60 will be Michigan alums.

After Michigan alums, the most represented universities at Michigan Law are Cornell and Yale.

Next are Cal, Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, Michigan State, Northwestern and Penn.

faq-charts

Unlike Cal, Michigan's career office publishes relatively complete stats on its students' placement into Law school. Annually, roughly 110-130 Michigan alums enroll into N14 Law schools. Other than Michigan Law School, other popular destinations include Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School, Georgetown Law School, Chicago Law School, NYU Law School and Northwestern Law School.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts : Students

Michigan Medical School is also considered one of the top 10 in the nation, and just like Michigan Law, roughly 50 Michigan alums enroll into Michigan Medical school annually. That is impressive here is that Michigan Medical School only takes in 170 1st year students, so 50 represents a very significant number.

University of Michigan Medical School :: Admissions :: Interview Day

So roughly 100 Michigan alums enroll into Michigan Law and Medical Medical annually.

Unfortunately, Michigan does not seem to publish data for placement into other Medical schools

I have not seen placement data of Michigan alums into Business and Engineering programs, but I know Michigan sends 50 or so alums to Ross MBA annually and another 10-20 alums to HBS, Kellogg and Wharton.

As a percentage of its undergraduate student population, Michigan places roughly as many alums into top graduate programs than all but perhaps a handful of universities (not including LACs). This is impressive considering the fact that Michigan is structured in a way that does not produce as large a ratio of students applying to Law and Medical school. Other universities in a similar position to Michigan that also do very well with graduate school placement are Cal, Cornell, MIT and Northwestern.
    RML, WUSTL and Cornell medical schools definitely have national (if not global) appeal that match programs such as Columbia, Duke, Michigan and Penn.
    RML, WUSTL and Cornell medical schools...

Is The RML School of Medicine associated with Princeton's SoM? :D
  • irishevan99irishevan99 Registered User Posts: 344 Member
    ^ like. I'm sorry for bumping this btw, but I did think it was interesting. I don't know about other types of graduate schools, but from what I've seen I think we can take law schools at their word that your undergraduate institution matters much, much less than your GPA and LSAT.
    ^^yes, you can find out all you need about LS on the cc thread concerning the same topic.
  • lesdiablesbleuslesdiablesbleus Registered User Posts: 746 Member
    Alexandre wrote:
    Cal is one of the most effective universities in the nation at placing students into top graduate schools.
    This is one of the most false and absurd statements I've read on this site. First off, Cal supposedly has more top SAT scorers on an absolute level than any other school in the nation, even more than Harvard College, as a result of its sheer size and status as the preeminent state school. And yet, its placement rates are atrocious on a per capita basis and merely decent on an absolute basis. Schools like Brown, Duke and Princeton do as well on an absolute basis as Cal despite the fact that Cal has maybe 2-3x top students enrolled as a result of its size. These private schools are about 5 times smaller than Berkeley.

UCB clearly shortchanges its brilliant undergrads compared to the elite schools. There's no comparison at all really. Cal should have as many undergrads enrolled in JHU Med as Harvard does but it doesn't and that's not due to a lack of brilliant students. Its due to terrible advising, a complex bureaucracy that undergrads have to wade and meager financial resources at the undergrad level. Its endowment is pathetic considering its supposed prestige.
  • lesdiablesbleuslesdiablesbleus Registered User Posts: 746 Member
    Alexandre wrote:
    Other than Michigan Law School, other popular destinations include Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School, Georgetown Law School, Chicago Law School, NYU Law School and Northwestern Law School.
    According to the link you provided, the most popular destinations for Michigan Alums after Michigan Law is as follows in order:

1. Thomas M Cooley
    2. Wayne State
    3. Michigan State
    4. Brooklyn
    5. DePaul
    6. John Marshall
    7. Detroit Mercy
    8. Loyola
    9. NYU
    10. Fordham

Wow, this is quite the list of top schools. Lets all pack our bags and head to Ann Arbor for undergrad!!!:rolleyes:
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Registered User Posts: 10,362 Senior Member
    ^^^^This is not surprising at all since most Michigan alums are from the state of Michigan. There is also a huge contingent of alums from the NYC area as well as Chicago.
    LDB, that paragraph was referring to matriculations among N14 Law schools, not all matriculations. As always, your respectful tone and sense of fair play is a pleasure to behold.
This discussion has been closed.