right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Top 100 World Universities 2013-14 (THE Rankings)

13»

Replies to: Top 100 World Universities 2013-14 (THE Rankings)

• beyphybeyphy 2195 replies42 threads Senior Member
    UCLA's had four Nobel prize winners within the within the past five years. (09,10,12,13) Three of the four are undergraduate alumni, which is fairly high (Berkeley in the same period only had one undergraduate alumnus win the prize.)

Unsurprisingly, UCLA's already added him to the list of alumni who've received the prize :D

Nobel Laureates | UCLA

Here's the faculty list for contrast:

Nobel Laureates | UCLA
    · Reply · Share
  • Sam LeeSam Lee 9273 replies176 threads Senior Member
    ^On that very same page, two of the links show UCLA had 10 Rhodes (2 in 2009 but only 4 since 1980) and 2 Marshall winners throughout its entire history. That's low for a big school.
    · Reply · Share
  • cbacba 217 replies2 threads Junior Member
    What is notable is that Stanford is the only university to be ranked in the top 5 in every subject across the board on the World Rankings - pretty impressive
    · Reply · Share
  • UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad 10221 replies56 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for posting that link, beyphy.

Did you note on the description:
    and has been on the faculty at UC Berkeley since 1976, where he is a professor of molecular and cell biology. He is also an adjunct professor of biochemistry and biophysics at the University of California, San Francisco.

...adjunct to Cal's medical campus? :D
    · Reply · Share
  • UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad 10221 replies56 threads Senior Member
    How long have the districts been split for California Rhodes scholar applicants?

If District 16 only includes So. California and Hawaii, how come an Arizona person from the Naval Academy won the scholarship?
    http://www.rhodesscholar.org/assets/uploads/US_winners_list_2012.pdf

And even though it's broken into districts, it's based on where you permanently live - not the state where you go to school.
    · Reply · Share
  • sefagosefago 1713 replies18 threads Senior Member
    The nobel prize encompasses only 5 disciplines. Its really not a good award to measure a school with. Its just like judging a school based on the number of field medalists
    · Reply · Share
  • beyphybeyphy 2195 replies42 threads Senior Member
    ^On that very same page, two of the links show UCLA had 10 Rhodes (2 in 2009 but only 4 since 1980) and 2 Marshall winners throughout its entire history. That's low for a big school.

Northwestern's only been associated with 8 Nobel prize winners. That's low for a good school ;) (they're going to that university across town I imagine?)
    · Reply · Share
  • BuBBLES FoR SALEBuBBLES FoR SALE 2125 replies39 threads Senior Member
    UCSB above UCSD and UCD?

Really...
    · Reply · Share
  • confusedboyconfusedboy 198 replies2 threads Junior Member
    ^^ Not just SD and Davis. It's also above Brown and Dartmouth. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • GeneralSteelGeneralSteel 15 replies0 threads New Member
    Schools like Brown and Dartmouth are disadvantaged in these citation heavy rankings.
    · Reply · Share
  • makennacomptonmakennacompton 485 replies15 threads Member
    RE; Rhodes. It's a club. Historically, this club essentially recruits from the Ivies. The people on the Rhodes committees are dominated by the Ivies, especially by Harvard and Yale. So, it is a vicious circle: the Harvard/Yale - laden Rhodes selection committees in the various states choose Harvard/Yale candidates (or other Ivies, a bit less) and may throw in the random kid from a State U., but this is uncommon. The State U's have kids every bit as bright on the Rhodes level as any of the Ivies, but the State U kid really, really, really has to have a "story" (or be an outstanding minority athlete, with a story, as in the case of the Florida State kid a few years ago) to overcome the Ivy predjudice on these committees (knowing that Ivies can give full rides) that says, in effect, "if you were any good, you wouldn't be at State U, you would be at an Ivy." Rhodes is pretty much a closed circle of Ivy choosing Ivy and that's a simple, basic fact of life. So just shrug and get over it . . .
    · Reply · Share
  • oceanpartieroceanpartier 769 replies10 threads Member
    Don't get me wrong...I go to UCLA and love it here....

...but I seriously doubt it is a better school than Columbia...or Cornell...or the University of Pennsylvania....and UCSB>UCSD? Seriously this list...
    · Reply · Share
  • bluecrush96bluecrush96 20 replies0 threads New Member
    Hmm I find it strange that Wake Forest University isn't on this list if Penn State is.
    · Reply · Share
  • NoddyboffinNoddyboffin 1 replies0 threads New Member
    UCLA ranked ahead of U.of Michigan? UVA doesn't make your top 50 but UCSB,U.of Illinois and U.of Minnesota do?
    · Reply · Share
  • ucsb82ucsb82 55 replies13 threads Junior Member
    I say, either take it all - or nothing.

I'd rank UCSB higher - not my ranking.
    · Reply · Share
  • frostedcupcakefrostedcupcake 12 replies1 threads New Member
    Are these the 2014-15 rankings?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity