Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

University of Tulsa: Clinical Psychology PhD?

psych_33psych_33 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
So, I received a grad school brochure and a personalized letter from the University of Tulsa congratulating me on my accomplishments and research for my BA (it seems to be a recruitment letter for grad school, although I never contacted them for any information; in fact, I hadn't even heard of the university before receiving this letter. I wonder how they got my info? That's a little beside the point, though.)

I'd like to ask a few questions (directed at anyone who is a current student at the university, especially psych students):

1) What's the University of Tulsa's reputation like? Is it known to be a good graduate school for psychology? (I know literally nothing about college rankings. A google search didn't necessarily help me either, there are a few sites with different ratings and I have no idea which is most accurate.) I just want to make sure I'm going to a school with a decent reputation, especially relating to psychology. I did see that their psych program is APA accredited--which is a must--but it's only been accredited since 1991 so I'm not sure how much of a reputation it has built for itself in comparison to similar programs.

2) What's the campus like? If you're a current student at the University of Tulsa, what would you say are the strengths of the campus? What are the worst aspects of the campus? (All I really know about the campus is that it has smaller class sizes, which is great!) I really want to know more though, especially how students feel about the campus and surrounding area.

3) Anyone studying clinical psych at the University of Tulsa: could you tell me a bit about the school and program overall? (Good things and bad things.) Specifically, I'd really like to know about funding availability (is your PhD fully funded?), major research areas, research opportunities, internships, and housing availability for grad students, etc. I've looked at the website and found a little bit of info, but I think it's better to hear from current students on this too.

4) Again, directed at the psych students: I read in the brochure that the clinical PhD follows the scientist-practitioner model and takes a broad approach to psychology--this is good, it's what I'm looking for, but I'm also realy interested in neuropsychology. Does the program offer a decent amount of courses, research opportunities, internships, etc. relating to neuropsych?

5) Not fully related, but, could anyone suggest some good scientist-practitioner schools in the US or Germany offering funded degrees in clinical psych/neuro that I should look into? (I'm not applying until next year, but I want to look into a lot of schools before I narrow down my list to apply to. I have a decent list going already, but I want to keep looking.)

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read my post!!
This discussion has been closed.