Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Into a Top PhD Programs- Should I take a year off or do a Masters? Help Please!

2»

Replies to: Getting Into a Top PhD Programs- Should I take a year off or do a Masters? Help Please!

• xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,572 Forum Champion
    @94dino - Ultimately, it is your call on whether this is a good option. You have a lot of comments in this thread and you now have to make a decision for yourself. Good luck!
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,550 Super Moderator
    edited May 2016
    ^@bluebayou No I didn't :) My original comment said
    Nor does the selectivity a program really reflect its quality or reputation in a field.

My point being that the acceptance rate (what most people mean when they refer to 'selectivity') being 11% or 51% doesn't really matter and shouldn't factor into one's decision to attend, or not attend, a graduate program. That's because acceptance rates can be affected by all kinds of things that have nothing to do with the desirability of the program itself (costs, location, the number of prerequisites, the size of the field, the age of the program, how well they market the program, etc.) It should all be about the quality of teaching itself, the faculty, the curriculum, and most importantly post-graduation and career outcomes of alumni.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Columbia's biotechnology MA program, all up. It's just not necessarily right for the OP's needs.
  • 94dino94dino Registered User Posts: 8 New Member

Thank You Everyone for their comments they were very helpful! I have decided to not take the master and continue working in the same lab! Hopefully this time next year I will be going into a PhD program!
  • BookspineBookspine Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Best of luck! Sounds like it was a good decision :)
  • FluentInCarbsFluentInCarbs Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Yeah that decision is the best one. Btw you should apply to some masters programs as well (make sure they are funded) That way you can show you are able to handle grad school and make your 3.3 undergrad GPA less of a factor. Funded MS programs are out there and are more common than funded MA programs.
2»
This discussion has been closed.