Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I would like universities that allow you to use your existing masters degree to count towards a PHD

zgrad1zgrad1 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
I have seen a few questions like this, and i need less general information and more specific. I undersatnd that every school is different with admissions criteria. I have been looking at the University of Colorado - Denver and Colorado State University. Both schools specify that you can use a masters degree, obtained from a different school, to count towards 30 hours of PHD work.

I am looking for schools in texas. I cant find any. I find it odd that the only 2 schools i can find via google that allow you to use a masters from a different school is in colorado. Is this a coincidence or does colorado law differ in some regards to other states?

Replies to: I would like universities that allow you to use your existing masters degree to count towards a PHD

  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,550 Super Moderator
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with state law; it's just a quirk of individual university programs. Because that's what it is, really - it's not universities, but individual programs that decide how many credits they will accept from prior programs. And also, they may say on the website that they will accept up to 30 credits of coursework, but that doesn't mean that they will actually accept a full 30 credits (they may decide that only 15 of your credits are transferable, for example). And also, even if they do accept 30 credits, that doesn't mean that you only have one year of PhD coursework - the classes they accept might not satisfy the PhD requirements.
This discussion has been closed.