Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Could I use my bachelors degree for a job if PhD didn't work out?

Guy1@pi[email protected] Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm wondering if I, for example, received a bachelors in history, then took a PhD in communications. Would I still be able to us my bachelors in history as a fallback for a job if my communications job does not work out? (

Replies to: Could I use my bachelors degree for a job if PhD didn't work out?

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,262 Senior Member
    Yes... although employers aren't knocking down the doors specifically for history majors, unless maybe you want to teach. But the skills you learn in a history major (writing, analysis) can be useful in the job market.
  • AuraObscuraAuraObscura Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    Keep in mind, though, that if you're applying for a job that requires a Bachelor's, having a PhD may make you overqualified (consequently, employers may be less willing to hire you). To get around this, one could simply leave the PhD off their resume, but then they would have to somehow explain the 6+ year gap on their resume, which is also troublesome.
  • BookspineBookspine Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Why don't you do a double major in History and Communications? Then you are qualified for both, and can continue in the PhD in whichever you perfer/need.
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 3,110 Senior Member
    ^^ great suggestion
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,550 Super Moderator
    Yes, of course you can.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 4,640 Senior Member
    Why not look at what jobs are available before doing anything else. It is better to do that then to hope fate is on your side or some such. Search job listing and take a look at salaries and requirements.
This discussion has been closed.