Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Biochemistry and BME minor, Low GPA ( ~3.2 ish) Coauthor-publication and one first author.

sciencelover92sciencelover92 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello, I had a really low GPA till I was a sophomore (around 2.5 ish). I went to Korea to finish my mandatory 2-year military service and came back to college a year and a half ago.

Ever since I came back to college I have been keeping up okay GPA (~3.5)
Now I am a senior with decent GPA of 3.0. I kept GPAs above 3.5 all semesters since I came back.

I am doing extra year to do more research and get BME minor. I am doing extra year mainly for the sake of learning more and because I find so many classes interesting, but I am hoping this will also compensate for my sluggish days...

By the time I apply to graduate school (December 2017), I expect my GPA to be around 3.2. I will have taken a lot of biology courses: immunology, microbiology, developmental biology, cancer biology, cell signaling, biochemistry 1,2, cell biology, genetics, pharmacology 1,2, genetic engineering, tissue engineering, etc.

I have been working in a clinical research lab (translational research) studying cancer around 30 hours a week including winter and summer. But I have been only taking about 12 credits worth of classes.. Currently, I am almost independent in the lab, working on my own project. My PI really cares for me, which I am really grateful for, and wants me to publish a paper as a first author before I graduate. (preferably before I apply to graduate program).
I also have 6 months of internship experience at QC of a biopharmaceutical company.

I am very concerned because I want to get into prestigious graduate programs..
(I know.. I sound greedy.. :(, I mean.. it should be more about what I want to research, not just the title..).

I want to get into one of the tri-institute graduate schools like MSK, Weill Cornell, Rockefeller..

Aslo, as you have may already guessed, I am an international student. But I went to high school in the U.S and find English to be the language i am most comfortable with ( I am mentioning this because proving my competence in English will be no problem during the interview).

Anyways, what are my chances of getting into prestigious graduate schools?

Any suggestions for graduate programs? I am interested in immunology, and cell biology!

Thank you for your feedback guys!!

Replies to: Biochemistry and BME minor, Low GPA ( ~3.2 ish) Coauthor-publication and one first author.

• BioenchiladaBioenchilada Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    It's really hard to gauge your chances for graduate school, in general. However, know that at top programs, MANY applicants will have high GPAs and GRE scores along with plenty of research experience. You have to make yourself stand out with your rec letters and your statement of purpose. Fit also plays a key role. Adcoms have read many, many essays and if they can tell you just want to go someplace for the prestige, you'll get rejected even with the best numbers.
This discussion has been closed.