Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Want to focus on Asian Foreign Policy--Apply to Asian grad schools?

irasiastudiesirasiastudies Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I am planning on studying International Relations with a focus on policy between U.S. and East Asian countries--particularly China and Korea. Is it a good idea to study in Asia, or would an American school be considered more prestigious by Western companies hiring people? If you look at the QS rankings, for "politics and international studies," some Asian schools are in the top 15, top 40, like National University of Singapore (NUS) (#13) (above Chicago and Johns Hopkins); University of Hong Kong (HKU) (#23); and Seoul National University (SNU) (#40).

Is NUS really a better choice than Chicago, all things being equal? Or perhaps would it be a better choice given my area interest? And other Asian universities, for that matter.

Replies to: Want to focus on Asian Foreign Policy--Apply to Asian grad schools?

  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,709 Super Moderator
    edited December 2016
    If you want to work in the U.S., then you should probably go to an American university, or at the very least an international university with a strong reputation in the U.S. For example, Oxford or the London School of Economics have great name recognition in the U.S.

    International rankings...it's not that they may not be valid or even good, but what you're mainly concerned about is easing your way into work in the U.S. Take a look at LinkedIn and look at some people who have careers like the ones you want. I'd be surprised if there were more NUS graduates than Chicago and Hopkins graduates, for example.

    Oh yes - there is an diplomat-in-residence program. Diplomats in Residence (DIRs) are career Foreign Service Officers and Specialists located throughout the U.S. who provide guidance and advice on careers, internships and fellowships to students and professionals in the communities they serve. You can ask a DIR this question and others! Find yours here: https://careers.state.gov/connect/dir (I found out about this program because one of the Southeastern DIRs was actually located at my undergrad college. Absolutely excellent reference - we sent a lot of people to the foreign service.)

This discussion has been closed.