Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are there any drawbacks to a 1 year MSc program?

lknownothinglknownothing Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hey there! I'm an international student aiming to go to the states for a master's degree in Computer engineering or science. I have to think about affordability when choosing colleges and programs as I'm not made out of money. So I saw those 30 credits 1 year master's programs and attending such a program would basically cut the cost by half when compared to 2 year program. In my country there is no such thing as a 2 year master's program, all master's programs are 2 years here. So i'm wondering if there are any major drawbacks to a 1 year master's program? Do i still get the same master's of science on my transcript that I would get if i graduated from a 2 year program? Do i still get the same OPT time as all the other international students? Would i be eligible for one of the extra 20k H1b every year intended for people with advanced degrees( master's or higher)? I want to go into the industry right after graduation, i'm not really interested in research or such things.

Replies to: Are there any drawbacks to a 1 year MSc program?

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,713 Super Moderator
    You'd still get the same MS on your transcript. I'm not sure about the OPT time - it probably is the same, but you'd have to check to be 100% sure. The major drawback would be less time to network and job search, but most employers won't care about a one-year vs. two-year MS program. They won't even necessarily know.
This discussion has been closed.