Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

My chances for a PhD in Life Sciences

Badman13Badman13 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi, I am a final year MS student from Asia and am looking to apply to good schools but not Ivy League. What are my chances with the credentials I have??

GPA: 4.0/4.0 (MS)
3.43/4.0 (BS) GPA is as evaluated by WES(World Education Services)

GRE: 157 ( Verbal) ; 160 (Quantitative). Still awaiting my Analytical scores.

IELTS: 7.5 overall. 8.5 listening, 8.0 reading, 6.5 writing, 7.0 speaking

Publication: Only 1, in an international journal.

Research Experience: 3 years including internships plus one year as part of my MS research project.

LORS:Strong ones who have substantial research and teaching experience in the US.

Do I need to take the subject GRE as well?

Will expecting full funding from Penn State and University of Illinois, Chicago too ambitious?? Also, can I expect a place at Cornell University with my credentials?

Thanks in advace.

Replies to: My chances for a PhD in Life Sciences

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 11,579 Super Moderator
    Admission to PhD programs is only partially based on grades and test scores. Your grades are good enough to get you in, and your GRE scores are good enough to not keep you out. But what's really going to matter is your research fit with the department and potential PIs who can take you on - which will be conveyed by your statement of purpose, your prior research experience, and any interviews you do. So we can't really accurately opine on your chances, only to say that your stats are unlikely to be the reason that you are not admitted in the case that you aren't.

Each department's website will tell you if you need the subject GRE. If they say you don't need it, don't bother.