Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I can't decide on which of these to get my Master's Degree in?

BeHereNow40BeHereNow40 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
First of all, thanks for reading :)

I received my Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration & have been teaching/coaching sports at my high school for 2 years now!

Ideally I'd like to get my Master's Degree but can't decide in what. My options are:

* Web Development
* Higher Education
* Human Resources

1. Web Dev The beginning stages of Web Dev was honestly SO fun to me. I spent this last year occasionally going through Colt Steele's course off Udemy so I practiced in HTML, CSS, Javascript/Jquery and Bootstrap before work started up again. I like the idea of possessing "hard skills".

Web Development as a starting hobby has been a blast and I love seeing the websites I've created using code. I'd love to be able to pursue this further (bootcamp/master's). I know you can learn Web Dev on your own and create your own portfolio, as I already started that with Colt Steele's Udemy Course. My issue has been seeing a project completely through, especially while I work full-time (55+ hours). I know with a Master's degree I am more inclined to follow through because I'd be paying for it, and I'd be knocking a Master's out at the same time.

2. Higher Education I love working with students. I've been doing it all of my life in a variety of roles. Education and recreational fields are mostly what comprise my resume. I'm currently a Teacher as it is, but teaching hasn't been all that I had originally chalked it up to be. I don't hate it, but this year will be a crazy one for me. It's more stressful than I initially imagined, and know that this could vary based off the district and/or school I'm at. I know I'd love working in a University (not as a professor) in either academic advising or student affairs. This is a plausible direction and would be consistent with my resume, but it's still *narrowly in the education field.* I know a lot of teachers who pigeonhole their way into the education industry have a difficult time finding something else.

3. Human Resources HR has always been on my radar. I think being a Corporate Recruiter/getting into the hiring process (NOT the sales gigs) or getting involved in staff development/trainings would be right up my alley.

I like the idea of not doing Higher Education because the other 2 options would give me a little more flexibility with my resume. For example with applying for Web Dev jobs, I'd switch to a skills-based resume to highlight what I've done with that Master's program and the accompanying projects. I know realistically I could get my Master's in HR or Higher Ed and teach myself more Web Dev.. It's just difficult to see a project through while working without the extrinsic push that would come from signing up for a program.

How the heck can I decide when all these options seem great to me?

Thanks for the read :)

TLDR:

Teacher wanting to choose between HR, Higher Ed, or Web Dev as a Master's degree. Can't decide.

Replies to: I can't decide on which of these to get my Master's Degree in?

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 11,672 Super Moderator
    You need to decide what you want to do as a career first before you decide on the master's degree. You have the most experience close to higher education, and you already know that you love it; HR and web development are sort of further afield.