Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Postbacc advice

ShathiiShathii Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I am an undergrad, graduating this semester with a psychology degree. I am planning to apply for postbacc and I don't have a science background. I am looking at NYU, Fordham, Hofstra, Farmingdale, LIU. I am not sure which one will be best for me. I know pre-med classes are hard doesn't matter what school I go but still which school will be best for someone who is taking sciences for the first time.

Replies to: Postbacc advice

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,627 Senior Member
    edited October 6
    Why are you graduating this semester? Are you graduating early? Can you stay there and take some of the premed prereqs

You can do a postbacc anywhere....even taking most classes at a CC. Will your parents pay for all costs? If not, how will you pay for these classes?

What is your home state

Those privates would be expensive for a postbacc. Is Farmington an instate Univ for you

You'd be better off going to a smaller school if you're taking science classes for the first time.
  • ShathiiShathii Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you for replying. I am graduating a semester early and even if I stay one more semester I only can take 2 sciences max and then I have to do a postbacc anyway.

I live in NY and I will be able to pay the tuition I believe. I was thinking of applying directly to a postbacc right now and stay there 2 years and finish pre med classes.

I went to Fordham postbacc info session last week and they said classes will be pretty small and I will be taking classes with other postbacc students not undergrad.

Do you think that's a better option for me? or should I go NYU or Farmingdale where class sizes are big and I will have to take classes with undergard unlike Fordham.

what you think? small class size with only postbacc or large class with undergrad?
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 7,945 Senior Member
    edited October 6
    Try a few others with special classes for premed postbacc only, small class is much better. There is no need to find some school that has prestige or being private, CCNY will do just fine and cheaper. You want to get as many as As as you can.

And you need not be in state, OOS 4 year schools will do.

Here is a list of very low cost Universities.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1651944-very-low-cost-oos-coa-universities-less-than-25k-coa-for-everything-p1.html

I always promote UVM (Vt) as it has the highest number of matriculated OOS medical students in their SOM. Participate in their postbacc may give you an edge.
  • ShathiiShathii Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you!