Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

First offense and Grad School

LeslieRayLeslieRay Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Please give me some feedback here people.

I am about to enter graduate school and the only thing that is against me within applying (since my gpa is above what they need, a professor and employer wrote a solid recommendation letter, and my personal essay was on point), was a petty theft first offense charge last year that will be cleared off my record coming spring. I am TERRIFIED that this is the one stupid mistake that is going to get me shooed away from the graduate program of my dreams and I need to know that maybe I will be okay. It wasn't drugs, or alcohol, or anything INSANE, but it was definitely something stupid that destroyed me as a person. Thoughts?

Replies to: First offense and Grad School

• boneh3adboneh3ad Registered User Posts: 7,094 Senior Member
    Can schools even see that you had such an offense? I'm pretty sure I don't see that when I review applications.
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Registered User Posts: 4,203 Senior Member
    Unless you are applying to a program that requires a background check (for example, working with children), they should not see the charge or likely care about it if they do.