Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Funding for Grad School

uiucundergraduiucundergrad Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi,

I am currently an international student and considering applying for graduate school in 2019. I will be graduating with an BA in Economics and a minor in Statistics or Mathematics. I am currently a junior with a 3.33 GPA and would be retaking 2 classes to bump my GPA up to a 3.7/3.8. I am intending to study Economics/Public Policy/Finance in graduate school. I would like to know what fundings are available for me?

Replies to: Funding for Grad School

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,780 Senior Member
    How could retaking two classes bump your entire GPA that much? Or are you projecting all As from here on out in addition?

Some questions/comments:
    - Are you in the US at college now or your home country? If the US, you should be talking to your advisor or profs in your major for advice.
    - Are you looking for a master's degree or doctorate degree program? Master's are rarely funded. A doctorate takes years to complete -- 5-7, but usually does have enough funding to live on. What is your actual career goal?
    - You will likely need to take the GRE and an English language proficiency test. But each program has different requirements. - Finance is often an MBA program subject, while Econ/Public Policy aren't. It could be challenging to meld them together, but possible, depending on the program. If you want to enter a doctorate program, you will want to have a more specific idea of what you want to study than that.
    - If you want to enter a doctorate program, having research experience helps your admissions. Also, you will need recommendations from professors (as many as 3 for some programs).
    - Pulling your GPA up is important. You might want to take a gap year so all your senior year grades are included in your application.

You can get more information at the website grad cafe, too.
  • uiucundergraduiucundergrad Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi,

Thank you for all your advice and information. I am in the US in college now but am studying abroad next semester. I am intending to do research in behavioral economics on the undergraduate level but am not able to find research opportunities in this area in my college right now - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Afterwards, I would like to pursue a career as a market research analyst.

As for the gap year, what do you mean by that?
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,780 Senior Member
    I mean that you can't possibly bring up your GPA from a 3.3 to a 3.7 by just retaking 2 classes, so I assume you also plan to get very good grades for the remainder of your time at UIUC to get to that point. When you apply to grad school, it is typically right near the end of the first semester of senior year. So you apply with NO senior year grades included. Some schools will accept the first semester grades when you get them. But if you want to have the best GPA when you apply, take a year off after undergrad school so BOTH semesters of senior year grades can be considered.

You didn't answer the rest of the questions.