Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Can you teach at a Community College with a Masters in Education?!

RyanjingleRyanjingle Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
Hi guys the question is kind of straightforward. I saw that teaching grades below college are fairly simple as long as you get your credential, but is this route also similar if I wanted to teach at a CC? I'm thinking about majoring in philosophy and then attending a school of education for a masters degree. Any advice?

Replies to: Can you teach at a Community College with a Masters in Education?!

• ccprofandmomof2ccprofandmomof2 Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    This entirely depends on the school, but we would never hire anyone who didn't have at least a master's degree in the subject field. CC jobs are quite competitive in many states.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,299 Super Moderator
    In theory, yes. In practice, probably not.

As CCProf mentioned, you need to have a master's degree in the subject area in which you want to teach. So if you had a master's degree in education, you could teach education courses at a community college that had education programs (maybe like a teacher's aide, paraprofessional, or transfer program for aspiring teachers). However, just like teaching at a four-year college, most colleges would want you to have some teaching experience.

In practice, though, academia is such a competitive field that community college profs often (and, in some fields, usually) have a doctoral degree. This is especially true in desirable cities. When I was living in New York, it was uncommon for any CC prof who'd been hired in the last 5-7 years or so to get hired without a PhD. LOTS of people want to be professors.

You've posted a lot of questions related to teaching and education on this forum. I know that you really like philosophy, and I encourage you to study it in college if you want to as a major. But if you know you want to teach, you should probably double-major in whatever field you want to teach in!
  • RyanjingleRyanjingle Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    I see I see, makes sense. Thank you!