Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Improving my chances on landing my dream school

tigersandtreestigersandtrees Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hi all,

I'm just beginning my senior year at a state research university. It's by no means prestigious, but I've got a 3.78 GPA and I'm certain I can secure a good GRE score (~150-165) because of strong test-taking skills. I'll be getting my BA w/honors in International Studies in May, but I want to take some time off to work before pursuing an MA in Global Affairs, and I've decided Yale is the institution I want to attend.
My work plans so far are Peace Corps (just received my invitation!), but I'm wondering if you all would have suggestions on how to strengthen my resume before applying. What should I do in the next 5 years to better my chances of acceptance?

Thanks!

Replies to: Improving my chances on landing my dream school

• tigersandtreestigersandtrees Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I ought to add that I have lots of internship experience, primarily in non-profit work, but do not have any published papers nor have a contributed to any research.
  • xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,543 Forum Champion
    @tigersandtrees - Welcome to the Forum! It seems that you have a plan, and I think it is a good one. You will get valuable experience in the Peace Corps which should make your application stronger. If your GPA and GRE scores are strong, you can certainly aspire to a admission in a good program. However, don't put all your eggs in the Yale basket. Remember that highly selective programs are called that because they have a lot of applicants and only accept a few. Make sure you identify some other programs (talk to your professors now) to which you can also apply. You will improve your chances of getting the kind of post graduate degree you want.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 4,543 Senior Member
    Agree that Peace Corps duty & high GRE along with high undergraduate GPA (over 3.80) should be adequate to make you a very competitive applicant.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 3,751 Senior Member
    I second what @xraymancs has to say about putting all your sites on one particular school. You are going to experience a lot of things over the next five years. Be open to a variety of schools. The one you end up might not even be anywhere near your sites right now, but there will be other variables to consider then.
  • tigersandtreestigersandtrees Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,109 Senior Member
    Being competitive at a school like Yale does not mean being admitted. Consider Tufts, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown and other schools too.