Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UC grad school admissions

CPPundergradCPPundergrad Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hello all,

I am currently an undergraduate student at Cal Poly Pomona studying biotechnology. I recently started my 3rd year of study and am starting to seriously think about attending graduate school, specifically with the intention of getting a master's degree in a subfield within the biological sciences. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into the average GPAs and GRE scores of people admitted into graduate programs in biosciences at the UC schools and the top CSUs like SLO and SDSU. Thank you very much for time!

Replies to: UC grad school admissions

• xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,526 Forum Champion
    edited September 29
    @CPPundergrad - Welcome to the Forum! Every school will have minimum GPA standards published on their web site. These are usually 3.0/4.0, however, to get into a highly selective program you will need to be significantly above that and have strong reserach experience and letters of reference.
  • CPPundergradCPPundergrad Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @xraymancs Thank you for your reply! On the subject of research experience, what would you consider "strong" for a masters program? Earlier in the year I worked as a research and development intern at a biotech startup for 6 months. This has been my only experience in research so far but I plan on applying to summer research opportunities as well as talking to professors about the possibility of assisting in research in the spring. As for letters of reference, should I ask for a letter of rec from my former supervisor or would letters from faculty hold more weight? Last question has to do with extracurriculars. I am currently the secretary of the biotechnology club on campus and I hope to be the president or vice president my senior year, does this matter at all to apps/should I be doing more to set myself apart from other applicants? I apologize for all the questions but I really appreciate the advice!
  • xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,526 Forum Champion
    ECs are not really that relevant for a graduate application. Research is the thing. You should get letters from faculty but one letter from your internship supervisor would not be out of place. Sounds like you have a good plan for getting research experience at the university this year. Definitely go and volunteer in a research lab.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,358 Senior Member
    average GPAs and GRE scores of people admitted into graduate programs in biosciences at the UC schools

Duke is one of the few grad programs that makes public its admissions data by major. Since Duke has many excellent programs, you can assume that the top UC campuses have similar numbers.

https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/program-statistics
  • dazedandbemuseddazedandbemused Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    edited September 29
    If you are a junior, you will be submitting applications in about a year. You should aim to start your academic research experience as soon as possible, since you will need faculty reference letter(s) attesting to your commitment to and potential for research, and these will reflect your research experience. For competitive graduate programs, <1 year of research experience will not be a compelling testament to interest in research. Note - this is for competitive programs. Some M.S. programs are not all the competitive for entrance - they take any reasonably-qualified candidates since students are expected to self-finance and the program wants the tuition income.