Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help for Selecting Colleges to Apply to!

raichu05raichu05 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
So I am really confused about which colleges to apply to and which not to. I am not able to eliminate colleges somehow and make a logical list. Following are the ones I am considering:
Stanford, UC Berkeley, UC LA, UIUC, ETH Zurich, NUS, Purdue, U Mich - Ann Arbor, CMU, UC San Diego, Cornell, Princeton, Georgia Tech, and UT Austin
I am open to other options as well if they are better than any of the others on the list. I aim to apply to at max 10 colleges. Also, following is my profile for your reference:
9.63/10 (IIT Kanpur), 328 (158 V 170 Q 4.0 AWA), TOEFL expecting 100+, Intern at Texas Instruments with Placement offer, One minor and one major project, a lot of extra currics (I know it doesn't matter much).
I am an undergrad looking for a graduate program in Electronics/Electrical (specifically VLSI/Microelectronics/Circuits)

Replies to: Help for Selecting Colleges to Apply to!

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,095 Senior Member
    Where do your professors suggest that you apply? Where have their previous students gone for graduate work? Where do your professors and previous graduates of your current program have personal or professional connections?
  • xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,526 Forum Champion
    @raichu05 - Welcome to the Forum! What kind of degree are you interested in pursuing, an MS or PhD? In either case, you might want to get involved in research so you could look at the research done in these departments and rank order on the basis of that. All of the programs you mention are excellent and could serve you well.
  • raichu05raichu05 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hey! Thanks for the replies. So answering your questions so that you can help me better in this.
    I am looking for a master's degree, and I want the best college, but I certainly want a college right? So I wish that I have a mix of ambitious, moderate and safe universities in my list which I am not sure of how to classify. There are a lot of factors. Certainly, professors are one and the reputation of the institute is another. Also, funding is a major issue as well. So if you can tell me which of these colleges fall into which category for me, it might be really helpful. I am open to other choices as well. Even if you can provide any insights into what is the reputation or funding opportunities, that will be sure of great help!
    Regarding my professors, they are expecting me to apply to the best places and when I showed them the list, they did say that these are the best places out there. The alumni from my college is at various places -- from Stanford to CMU to Purdue and UTA, so it is not that easy to decide based on that factor as well. I asked these people about their schools of applications and acceptions which was also varying a lot except for a few common colleges which are on my list already. And regarding personal/professional connections, I don't know if they work during admissions but also it might be really difficult to make a professor agree to do that much for me.
  • xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,526 Forum Champion
    Many if not all of the US universities you identify will expect you to self-fund a Masters degree. Financial assistance is generally reserved for Ph.D. students. I cannot say whether some of the non-US schools will offer funding for a Masters.
  • raichu05raichu05 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Umm, I am hoping for RA or TA opportunities. From what my seniors at UIUC told me, getting TAship after the first semester is really easy there. Some might need to fund their second sem too but not beyond that.
    For Stanford, I was told that generally, students get TAship after their second quarter.