Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any Mycologists Out There? - Cornell, Duke, Harvard

ilexflowerilexflower Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
I have wanted to be a mycologist since I was 11. Oddly specific, huh? I really love this field and I want to get into a good program ideally at a top school.

I know Cornell has a huge plant pathology department, and some faculty studying basidiomycetes. Plus I have an intellectual crush on Cornell and would love to go there. Duke is home of the Vilgalys lab, another wonderful place for mushroom science. I have also started to get involved with Harvard's Pfister lab very recently.

So my question is, for a highly specific field, what should I be aiming to have my master's application look like? I am going abroad to do field research and hoping to publish my findings next year. I hope to do well on the GRE, but have not thought of taking it at this point.

Since I already know some of the mycologists who have worked at Harvard and Duke, is forging a connection by interning in these labs a good strategy for an admissions angle? I would like to do so in any case, but I'm curious to what extent that will be looked at in admissions. For that matter, have any of you worked for a lab as an undergraduate and had that person become your supervisor later on?

Any mycologists who have other recommended programs or experience with the admissions process?