right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Advice for older student on campus?

Miss ChristineMiss Christine 0 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
I was attending an online graduate program that, while I held a high GPA and it had some good qualities, wasn't meeting my needs. My application for a transfer to another university was granted, but I suddenly realized that I am old enough to be a grandmother to many of the young people I will be sitting with in evening classes. I may be older than many of the adjuncts. Does anyone have any advice about going to graduate classes as an older adult? It didn't matter much online what my age was, but now I find that I am not certain of odd things, such as if I should be carrying a backpack and computer, or take notes with pen and paper the old fashioned way? Are students going to be off put by an older peer? What about professors? I am a disabled veteran who was given an opportunity to earn a master's degree and I have my concerns about being hired at an older age yet I couldn't let the opportunity go by. I have been making high grades, and I am determined to graduate, but the last time I was in night school was in '99 when I earned a business degree. I am working on my MSW/MBA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Advice for older student on campus?

• happymomof1happymomof1 29301 replies169 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,470 Senior Member
    "in evening classes"

I have taken evening classes myself, and now I am teaching them. Sometimes I'm the oldest (yup, could be their mom or grandmom), many times I'm not. Don't worry about age. Just be your own cheerful and sociable self! My older students bring so much to the classroom. I love having them there!

I take notes with pencil and paper. If you are more comfortable with pen and paper, do that. If you are comfortable taking notes with a laptop, do that. Carry your books & materials in a backpack if that is most comfortable for you. Carry them in a tote bag if that is most comfortable for you. Use the paper edition if you like it better. Use the e-edition if you like that better. You are the one learning, so use the systems that you know work well for you.

But please, please, please, please (writing as an instructor here), keep your cellphone in your pocket on vibrate and only pull it out if you need to dial 911 or if your instructor says "Get your phones out and use the WiFi to visit blablabla website." :)
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5218 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,219 Senior Member
    I would not worry at all about being an older student.

In my experience any student past the age of 25 is usually a very strong student who is there for a good reason. I remember quite a range of students when I was in graduate school. I used to play squash with another graduate student who was largely bald. I never thought to ask what his age was.

In terms of taking a backpack versus a laptop versus pen and paper, do whatever works for you.

Go for it.
    · Reply · Share