right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

do international students get funded for PhD?

bignerdismebignerdisme 1 replies1 threads New Member
I know that most schools give students funds for PhD. Does this apply to international students?
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: do international students get funded for PhD?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15768 replies1055 threads Senior Member
    At most colleges internationals are funded for doctoral studies.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1775 replies14 threads Senior Member
    eons ago, when I was a PhD student, science-based international PhD candidates always had scholarships (before they started working for their PhD advisors) or stipends (through grant money and/or TA-ship). But humanity-based phd candidates had far less to no scholarship. I think it is still the case now.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12808 replies164 threads Super Moderator
    ^Good humanities PhD programs still fund most or all of their students, international or not. The amount of the stipend is, on average, a lot lower, but there usually is funding.
    · Reply · Share
  • GoatGirl19GoatGirl19 332 replies5 threads Member
    I was once told (STEM) that you should not apply for any school that does not offer its PhD students full funding regardless of international status; all PhD students in a field are paid the same. However, funding varies greatly depending on the field.
    · Reply · Share
  • bignerdismebignerdisme 1 replies1 threads New Member
    yes i am an economics student and also international so might not be as lucky as domestic STEM kids haha
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27992 replies204 threads Senior Member
    I was once told (STEM) that you should not apply for any school that does not offer its PhD students full funding regardless of international status; all PhD students in a field are paid the same. However, funding varies greatly depending on the field.

Of course, yes, funding does vary by department by school. But your advice was still spot on: no one, I mean no one, should attend a PhD program that is not fully funded.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12808 replies164 threads Super Moderator
    Yes, and that's true across every field. You shouldn't even get a humanities doctoral degree without funding (it's probably more imperative than STEM, since the chances of finding a job are lower and the overall pay is lower as well).

Economics is one of those fields that fully funds its students, and it's also a field in which the demand matches or slightly exceeds the supply. So you should be able to get full funding for a PhD in that field. Your international student status theoretically doesn't matter. In practice, there are some fellowships and types of funding (mostly NSF) that only domestic students can get, but usually the university shuffles their funding types around to cover everyone that they actually want in the program. So this may have a small impact, but if you are an outstanding candidate it should be just that: small.
    · Reply · Share
  • dazedandbemuseddazedandbemused 123 replies4 threads Junior Member
    All of our PhD students are guaranteed a stipend. However, we prioritize domestic applicants and accept a lower percentage of international applicants (who are generally not eligible for training grant funding).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity