right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

do international students get funded for PhD?

bignerdismebignerdisme 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
I know that most schools give students funds for PhD. Does this apply to international students?
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: do international students get funded for PhD?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14633 replies974 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,607 Senior Member
    At most colleges internationals are funded for doctoral studies.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1210 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    eons ago, when I was a PhD student, science-based international PhD candidates always had scholarships (before they started working for their PhD advisors) or stipends (through grant money and/or TA-ship). But humanity-based phd candidates had far less to no scholarship. I think it is still the case now.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12575 replies160 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 12,735 Super Moderator
    ^Good humanities PhD programs still fund most or all of their students, international or not. The amount of the stipend is, on average, a lot lower, but there usually is funding.
    · Reply · Share
  • GoatGirl19GoatGirl19 282 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    I was once told (STEM) that you should not apply for any school that does not offer its PhD students full funding regardless of international status; all PhD students in a field are paid the same. However, funding varies greatly depending on the field.
    · Reply · Share
  • bignerdismebignerdisme 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    yes i am an economics student and also international so might not be as lucky as domestic STEM kids haha
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26529 replies172 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,701 Senior Member
    I was once told (STEM) that you should not apply for any school that does not offer its PhD students full funding regardless of international status; all PhD students in a field are paid the same. However, funding varies greatly depending on the field.

Of course, yes, funding does vary by department by school. But your advice was still spot on: no one, I mean no one, should attend a PhD program that is not fully funded.
    · Reply · Share