right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Need advice picking my field of study

SoUnderRatedSoUnderRated 0 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
I received a Bachelors degree in Public Health not too long ago and I want to go to graduate school, but I do not know if it is really worth it. Its hard landing a job with just a bachelors degree, a lot of jobs that I have looked at want 2 to 5 years of experience. I am thinking that if I get a masters, it would open up more job opportunities but I wanted to go for a pHD. My problem is I do not know what disciple I want to study because I fear that I may choose a bad one like environmental science and limit my job options by being overqualified.
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Need advice picking my field of study

• boneh3adboneh3ad 7448 replies129 discussionsForum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,577 Forum Champion
    If you don't know what discipline to study, then how on Earth can you want a PhD? A PhD is not a simple credential. It's a major, career-trajectory-altering decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama 2644 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,673 Senior Member
    Its perfectly acceptable to get a masters first. Look at masters degrees in public health before you branch out to a new field. Do you want to do research work and can you talk to professionals in public health to find out what benefits the masters will give you? I have never heard of a bachelors degree in public health, most students earn a masters to find a job in public health. A PhD is needed if you want to become a public health professor at a university and some subset of jobs that may be more statistics related.

Environmental science often leads to policy jobs in government, such as the EPA, or private sector jobs. Often environmental science has a big chemistry component to get the best science jobs. Are you interested in chemistry and measurement sciences? Do you have the prerequisites for environmental science PhD programs?
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29381 replies170 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,551 Senior Member
    You needn't worry over much about this just yet. Take whatever job you can land, and work for a couple of years. If you are reasonably competent, you are likely to have a chance at promotion and/or your work experiences will lead you to opportunities at other companies/organizations. All of that will help you define whether or not grad school is important, and if so, which degree and which field of study.
    · Reply · Share